can't view attachment files in outlook

linguina 13:25 02 Sep 2003

I'm on win 98 and recently I've been experiencing a problem within outlook express. Basically I cannot view any files that I receive.
What happen is this: pressing the pin on the right hand corner of the window I should be able to select the files and save them on my HD but they look grey and it doesn't allow me to save them.

Also i get the msg: OS removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail. I get this msg even if it is a simple picture sent to me from the safest source!!!

Please help,
chr

mammak 13:38 02 Sep 2003

linguina snap i have been trying to send a file via outlook that i know is ok from win 98se
to my xp no luck, i think it,s got to do with this, sobig virus it is an attachment, so mail isnt going through.

dave h 13:44 02 Sep 2003

I think you'll find that there is a setting in Outlook express which is doing this. Even though I had AVG installed, my new installation of OE stopped me reading attachments until I changed the setting in OE.

I can't remember the setting off hand, bt I'll try to locate it.

dave h 13:50 02 Sep 2003

Founsd ti ... In Outlook express, go to Tools > Options>Security, where you will find a box labelled..Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus... Uncheck the box, and you should be able to open the attaqchments.

PS Make sure your Virus checker is up to date BEFORE you do this.

dave h 13:50 02 Sep 2003

Found it... In Outlook express, go to Tools > Options>Security, where you will find a box labelled..Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus... Uncheck the box, and you should be able to open the attaqchments.

PS Make sure your Virus checker is up to date BEFORE you do this.

linguina 14:04 02 Sep 2003

Cheers Dave,
that's what I was looking for.
Thanx a lot

chr

dave h 14:09 02 Sep 2003

linguina - Is your virus Checker up to date??/

(I worry sometimes)....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?