cant upgrade.....

User-421F16E4-24C9-415E-AB15FEF0AC9B4076 22:37 09 Dec 2003

hello everyone'
i recently bought my pc and im new 2 all this jargon. my problem is i cant upgrade microsoft. a message kept appearing on screen 2 upgrade but i kept saying no because i was'nt sure wat it actually meant? i went 2 the website 2 try and fix the problem but im denied accsses.i cant even download things because i did'nt upgrade 2 microsoft.have i made a mistake or is it curable? my pc is xp.
can anyone advice me please.

VoG II 22:49 09 Dec 2003

Which website did you go to to try to upgrade Windows.

Were these messages in e-mails supposedly from Microsoft?

Presumably you have Windows XP?

trying to upgrade, windows? office? games?

also a bit more info like what connection you have dial up or adsl....

plsndrs3 22:54 09 Dec 2003

Did it appear in a blue box with, I think, white writing?

thanks 4 replying 2 me..
the message kept popping up on screen everytime i was going on internet. it was microsoft more or less reminding me 2 upgrade but i kept refusing'as i said before i was'nt sure about it. now i know i should have done...example i downloaded norton antivirus' it came through ok but when i click 2 activate it... same message appeares need 2 upgrade windows. get in contact with microsoft..something like that? i just wish that message would appear now but it doe'snt anymore..my network connection is eircom.im origanally from brixton but now live in ireland.any ideas.... thanks

plsndrs3 23:32 09 Dec 2003

If this is what I think it is, it's a scam.

Microsoft do not invite you to 'upgrade' - although it does advise you from time to time to update the product.

IF the essage appears in a blue box about half the size of your screen with white letters, then just ignore it. Why would you be updating the newest OS from Microsoft [at the moment] anyhow?

If, however, you are being advised to UPDATE, then this is most strange as Windows handles all this for you .....

VoG II 23:32 09 Dec 2003

Again: where did you do the "update" from?

And, where did you download Norton from?

plsndrs3 23:33 09 Dec 2003

Should read 'Why would you be upgrading'

ok...
i downloaded norton from symantec which is the company.
secondly.. whatever it is..upgrade or update it will not allow me 2 activate norton until i do so.i dont know why this is' its a real problem because i cant activate anything i download.thats all i can say really, its something 2 do with microsoft update or upgrade whichever it is. sorry i cant be more accurate its just im new 2 all this..thanks

VoG II 23:58 09 Dec 2003

Try downloading AVG (free) from click here and running a scan.

If that won't run you've definitely been had by the "upgrade/update" message.

VoG II 00:03 10 Dec 2003

Hang on - in your first post you said you couldn't download anything. You then said you downloaded Norton.

If you cannot download try an on-line virus scan such as click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?