Can't set my User Picture. Windows 7

Tycho 19:50 18 May 2012

When I try to put one of my photos in my user account, clicking on "Browse for more pictures does not open the expected explorer window so I can't choose one of my own photos.

Any thoughts?

Nick

Tycho 22:02 18 May 2012

That is the problem rdave 13. The window does not open. The "Browse for more pictures" link does nothing.

Nick

Tycho 22:11 18 May 2012

Right ho. I will have a go.

N

Tycho 21:40 19 May 2012

I did the scannow twice but it found no problem and there now change in the behaviour of the link. I still can't open the browser window.

What's next to try?

Nick

lotvic 21:52 19 May 2012

Try by accessing the Change Pic Screen the other way - both methods are ClickHere I mean if you are getting there by clicking on picture -Method 1, then try Method 2 (via control panel)

Tycho 23:05 19 May 2012

lotvic

I fear that neither way works. :-(

N

Tycho 23:08 19 May 2012

rdave13

It is already has the box ticked : show thumbnails instead of icons.

Hm...

Thanks for trying. Anything else to try out?

Nick

Tycho 08:30 20 May 2012

Rdave13

Tried unticking apply, reticking ok, reboot.

Still no change.

Nick

lotvic 11:58 20 May 2012

Post back when you've done all the steps in Woolwell's Link

Tycho 22:07 21 May 2012

I have been through most of the procedures and am at the stage of trying to rename the default picture.

At this point I am stuck because I am not allowed to rename it. One Trused Installers can do that.

I am logged on as administrator and I have got as far as trying to alter the permissions to give me full control but the relevant tick boxes are greyed out.

I have not yet discovered a way around this.

Nick

Tycho 22:25 21 May 2012

That doesn't sound good.

I have tried setting up a new account and find that I get the same problem with the new one.

I was once able to change the picture on my wife's account but not now. I am assuming that the problem is deeper than just the corruption of one account.

This computer is new to me (about a week old) it is not brand new but has been refurbished. It appeared to be absolutely clean but I am now wondering if something has been left awry.

The only major change that I have made is to set up a new HD partition for my user files. That make synchronising my computers and backup hard drive easier.

Thanks for your ongoing help.

Nick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

EE 5G review: How fast is 5G in the UK?

How to Brand a Film Festival, Saul Bass style

How to install the iOS 13 beta on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleurs ├ętuis et housses pour Kindle (2019)