Can't send emails in Windows Live Mail

thumbscrew 18:09 31 Jul 2015

I've got a TalkTalk account, Windows 7 and I use Windows Live Mail. Even though it's a TT account, I have a Tiscali email address as when TT swallowed up Tiscali we kept our original Tiscali addresses. There have been a multitude of email problems over the years, but all was ok until about a week ago. Since then I can receive emails but it's impossible to send them, they are listed as "Sent" but they just never arrive. I'm reluctant to uninstall/reinstall WLM,in case I mess something up. I've changed the port setting from 25 to 587 but this made no difference. I've also got a Gmail account and this works fine, as I explained anything sent from Gmail (or anyone else) to my Tiscali will arrive, however if I try to reply or resend it appears as "Sent" but never arrives. I'd appreciate any help.

Secret-Squirrel 19:02 31 Jul 2015

......... Tiscali email address ....... they are listed as "Sent" but they just never arrive.

I tackled this problem just a few days ago. The chap hasn't got back in touch so I guess it's still fixed. What SMTP server do you have in WLM?

thumbscrew 19:05 31 Jul 2015

If I understand correctly...SMTP.Tiscali.co.uk ....POP3

Secret-Squirrel 19:15 31 Jul 2015

...SMTP.Tiscali.co.uk...

Thanks - that's what I wanted to know.

I was hoping you were going to say it was smtp.talktalk.net as that's what was setup in my customer's WLM. I changed it to smtp.tiscali.co.uk, and miraculously, newly-sent test messages all arrived at their destinations. All I can suggest is that you try the TalkTalk outgoing server (with port# 25 I think) instead.

Let me know how you get on please.

thumbscrew 19:27 31 Jul 2015

Thanks anyway pal, it was on 25 and apparently it should be 587....that advice came from Talktalk and it won't work on either of them.

Secret-Squirrel 20:34 31 Jul 2015

Did you try the alternative SMTP server I suggested? If you did then I suggest you post your problem on the TalkTalk forum. Don't bother phoning them as you'll get nowhere.

thumbscrew 20:38 31 Jul 2015

It was initially 25 and I've been posting on the TT Forum for days. Any TT customers here will understand why this is worse than useless...as is TT.

Secret-Squirrel 20:46 31 Jul 2015

Ah, I think you've misunderstood me. I'm talking about changing your server - not port number. Change the "outgoing mail (SMTP)" server in WLM from the Tiscali one to smtp.talktalk.net. If it doesn't help then put it back to how it was.

thumbscrew 21:14 31 Jul 2015

Thanks but no joy and also incoming and outgoing are different....one TT and the other Tiscali....think I'm beaten.

Secret-Squirrel 08:47 01 Aug 2015

Sorry to hear it didn't work. Thanks though for alerting me to your problem. I'll be getting in touch with my customer to implement a Plan B. Sadly, the different fix won't work for you though :(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S10 review: Hands-on

Alice Tye on blurring the line between fine art and illustration with Japan as her muse

Best free iPhone games 2019

Comparatif : iPhone XS vs Samsung Galaxy S10