Can't remove partitions on hdd

wescliff 15:23 28 Sep 2018

Drive came out a failed laptop. Connected it through caddy and opened disc management. It has seven partitions, only two will let me delete them. Right clicking the others only gives one option "Help" Basically how do I get this drive to a single partition. Gratefull for any advice

rdave13 15:58 28 Sep 2018

Have you tried formatting it? File manager, This PC and right clicking the drive and format. For partition work I always use a free third party app rather than Windows.

wescliff 16:50 28 Sep 2018

Can't, only the main partition "C" shows in explorer. These other partitions show up in disc management.

wee eddie 17:18 28 Sep 2018

What type was the old Laptop. Manufacturers frequently put hidden partitions on a drive

rdave13 17:41 28 Sep 2018

See what a free partition manager can do. Link

wescliff 18:02 28 Sep 2018

It was a Lenovo. I don't really want to put any specific software on the new one. If Windows can't sort it it will just hit the bin.

rdave13 18:14 28 Sep 2018

Two software (apps) I wouldn't do without. Minitool P. M. and Macrium Reflect. Both the free versions.

wescliff 19:24 28 Sep 2018

Thanks I'll have a look.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:48 28 Sep 2018

Use diskpart /clean in command prompt to erase all partitons

click here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)