cant read jpegs from cd saved on old system

johnnyrocker 17:19 29 Oct 2003

apologies i placed this in wrong forum (DOH)

to explain more clearly. my prev pc had win me etc, my new one has xp pro, my problem is i have a cd which i backed up pics from old pc but when placing cd in new pc i get the thumbnails but cant view them any ideas? please.
cheers.

johnny.

bruno 17:38 29 Oct 2003

Try right clicking on the thumbnails and go to open with,select your imaging program.Hope that is the answer.

johnnyrocker 18:26 29 Oct 2003

regretfully not the solution, image viewer opens and says no preview available, i do have irfan but not tried that, tried renaming to open with explorer and get a box with a red square, so went back to image viewer, tried paint and message not a valid bitmap etc.

thanks for tips folks

johnny.

graham√ 18:52 29 Oct 2003

You may have just saved the thumbnails, not the images.

johnnyrocker 19:13 29 Oct 2003

re thumbnail.i hope not i really do
the pics actually have the names' thanks gongoozler i will when i get home trouble is that for the life of me i cant remember what program was used to view them in ME

cheers.
johnny.

sorry if not to good at explaining myself

johnnyrocker 20:55 29 Oct 2003

BUMP

johnnyrocker 09:06 30 Oct 2003

gongoozler.
i have mailed you but just checked the sizes and some are 350k upwards so hopfully they are not thumbnail copies.

cheers.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 09:28 30 Oct 2003

update.
i cannot view these in irfan either, it tells me it cant read the header?

thanks to all who are helping.

cheers.

johnny.

Diemmess 11:55 30 Oct 2003

Two gloomy thoughts based on own experience.

Two old (homeburned) CDs which became unreadable, can't remember the brand but they were from the same origin and did read previously.

Also with the idea that you may not have recorded what you thought you had, had you ever tried reading this disk before changing the OS?

johnnyrocker 11:56 30 Oct 2003

many thanks for your efforts gongoozler, the particular pic i sent you was one of the 'samples' that came with ME but i also cant read ones taken with my olympus cam, as i say this only applies to that stored on this cd, might nero have converted them to something else although they still say jpeg?

baffled.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 11:59 30 Oct 2003

diemess
it wasn't a change of system it was a pc going back to mesh for refund (nuff said there) so i backed up what i could but as i say cannot read them on my new xp machine.

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

FIFA 19 review

Design a vector map packed with creatures and landmarks

iPhone XS vs iPhone X: What is the difference?

Comment désactiver la lecture automatique des vidéos sur Chrome ?