cant re load external hdd

johnnyrocker 18:04 01 Nov 2005

i have a mobile disk caddy which i have been using for extra storage for quite some time with no probs.
today i unplugged it and took it to my sons as he has a new computer and i intended transferring some anti spyware etc to his machine, his xp home recognised the drive then said encountered a problem installing it now matter how many times i removed the yellow warning and re booted i had the same problem so gave up.
have just hooked it up to my machine and i find i have exactly the same problem.
any ideas please? xp pro sp2

johnny.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:25 01 Nov 2005

uninstall and reinstall USB root hub

Any change?

johnnyrocker 19:33 01 Nov 2005

thanks tried that but still same.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 20:05 01 Nov 2005

evening shift?

johnny.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:40 01 Nov 2005

Do you have another drive you can put in the caddy?

May be a drive problem rather than USB to IDE problem.

Can you sse the drive in diskmanagement? (type diskmgmt.msc in run box)

Splork 22:44 01 Nov 2005

You might have to open the case and use an IDE cable. I have a powered USB drive connector and I've never trusted it, 9x or XP it's always played up. That could be down to the specific hardware, but I'd still plump for a direct IDE/SATA connection every time, or a USB flash drive.

woodchip 22:44 01 Nov 2005

Your son's comp as messed the MBR up on the Drive, So you cannot read it

woodchip 22:48 01 Nov 2005

You could try the Drive in your computer set as Slave then You could Run Program to repair the Partition Info click here

woodchip 22:49 01 Nov 2005

Download the Xp version

johnnyrocker 09:26 02 Nov 2005

not quite sure of some of the terms used such as above and IDE/SATA cable is it your opinion that the caddy is the problem or the disk? it cant be seen in dskmgmt when i switch it on pc identifies it advises it is a high speed device and may work slower (cos i dont have usb2) which has never been a prob before, it then advises of a problem istalling it and it might not function correctly and one gets the yellow indicator in device manager

johnny.

woodchip 11:11 02 Nov 2005

The Disc. And it will, I would think be a EIDE ata drive. If you have Sata for your main comp drives, you will have to get a EIDE cable and plug it into a EIDE slot on the Mobo. then run the above program. see if it finds a problem with the partition

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?