Can't install windows updates or remove programs

nicnic344 14:47 11 Jun 2017

Hi guys,

I have an old work computer that was never reformatted when I finished my employment there and I am having some issues with installing windows updates and removing programs from the computer.

Installing Updates -

When I check for updates it comes up with the error message -

"Windows could not search for new updates. Errors found: Code 8024402C"

I have been trying to fix this issue myself but have had no luck. The main fix online that I can see is to temporarily disable the security software but I am unable to do this either. When I click on "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" it comes up with the message -

"The snap-in below, referenced in this document, has been restricted by policy. Contact your administrator for details. Windows Firewall with Advanced Security."

So I'm completely lost as to where to start with this issue as it seems I am restricted to doing any of the fixes I have found online.

Uninstalling Programs -

There is no add/remove icon in the control panel. In fact, there looks like there are a number of icons that are missing... I'm guessing this is due to it being an old work computer as well. Is there any fix to this? I have located the appwiz.cpl icon in the Windows system 32 folder but when I click on it nothing happens.

Again any help would be much appreciated! I figure I could always reformat the laptop but I don't have any CD's that came with it and wanted to see if there was any other solution.

Cheers,

Nick

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:53 11 Jun 2017

You are obviously not logged in as an administrator and this is why you cannot sort out the problem.

What version of windows is it running?

nicnic344 15:58 11 Jun 2017

Is there any way to get around this then?

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:14 11 Jun 2017

Does the machine have a sicker with the serial key on it?

I'm thinking it may be best to download a widows 7 pro iso, back up your data, wipe the PC and install a fresh copy of windows with you being the administrator.

The company you got it from will not wish to do anything with the machine as far as they are concerned its "sold as seen". There will be scripts installed that will prevent users from changing anything in widows (this is to prevent introduction of virus and loss of company data when machine was connected to company server.

nicnic344 00:44 12 Jun 2017

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. Yes there is a sticker on it with a serial key.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon Prime Day 2018: Best Deals & Launches

The Huawei P20 Pro is the best phone for artists, designers and photographers

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

TV & Streaming : comment regarder la Supercoupe d’Espagne ?