Can't format Fat 32

Gary 23:39 04 May 2005

I have a 120 gig Maxtor using ntfs and with xp home as the o/s. I am adding another 120 gig in a usb2 caddie and the makers specify that the file system must be fat or fat32. When trying to format the drive in the pc before installing in the caddie, Disk Management only gives me the option to format in ntfs. How can I format the full volume in fat32? Also if I am setting this drive up as a portable extension to my onboard hdd and it will not have its own o/s do I set the volume up as a primary partition or an extended partion?

Thanks

Chegs ® 00:09 05 May 2005

FAT32 can only be used on HDD smaller than 32Gb.Are you certain "makers specify that the file system must be fat or fat32" To get your 120Gb drive as FAT32,you will need to partition it (XP CD?) Partition Magic.

I just checked mine,all three hdd's have their 1st partition as Primary and each subsequent partition is Extended.

DieSse 00:50 05 May 2005

You can format partions to FAT32 with Win98 or ME - though that may not help you.

I'm not sure I beleive what you're being told - you have nothing at all to lose by formatting as NTFS and trying it out.

DieSse 00:53 05 May 2005

You can format partions to FAT32 with Win98 or ME - though that may not help you.

should have read

You can format partions LARGER THAN 32Gb (and winXP will read them OK) to FAT32 with Win98 or ME - though that may not help you.

Also you may be able to use MaxBlast (see the maxtor site) to format to FAT32. But NTFS is preferable if it does work.

Eric10 09:42 05 May 2005

As the drive is a portable device I would imagine that the makers recommend FAT or FAT32 because an NTFS partition can't be read if connected to another PC using FAT/FAT32. That said, if you don't have a requirement to connect to any other PC than one using NTFS then this would obviously be your best choice.

Gary 18:00 05 May 2005

Grateful for the advice. Eric 10 and dieSse made up my mind to try with ntfs. So formatted the drive hooked up as slave to the primary ide using Partition Magic. Partitioned it as a logical drive. Bunged it in the caddie plugged in the USB2 and windows found "Mass Storage Device" and it worked!!!! Thanks everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts