Can't figure out M.2 SSD For OS Booting

Nicolas Perez 04:58 19 Sep 2018

I've done so much research on this and I just keep having these pesky questions. 3 of them to be exact. I was hoping you guys could help me out please!

(My PC specs are at the very bottom)

So basically I want to install an M.2 SSD on one of the two built in M.2 sockets on my motherboard. Strictly for booting my OS and to install this CAD program I use often. Here are my questions :

1) If you look below at the motherboard specs for the included M.2 sockets they are some differences between the two. So which of the two sockets should I be using for my purpose?

2) One of the two M.2 sockets advertises to be "Intel Optane Memory Ready" is this something I can benefit from? nd if so could it be done in conjunction with the "OS booting SSD" I want to install?

3) Recommended appropriate M.2 SSD card for this purpose.

Sorry for the long question good internet people!

My PC Specs: Intel i7-7700 3.6GHz, NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HDD, Win 10 Motherboard: ASUS-PRIME B250M-A 1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA mode & X4 PCIE mode)*1

1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (x4 PCIE mode)*2 Intel® Optane™ Memory Ready *3

Notes *1 When a device in SATA mode is installed on the M.21 socket, SATA1 port cannot be used. *2 Only M.2_2 socket can support Intel® Optane™ Memory.  *3 Intel® Optane™ Technology is only supported when using 7th Generation Intel® processors. 

Secret-Squirrel 09:40 19 Sep 2018

1) ..................So which of the two sockets should I be using for my purpose?

They're identical so it won't make any difference which one you use.

2)............."Intel Optane Memory Ready" is this something I can benefit from?

Intel Optane is basically a hard-disk cache and is used to speed up the read performance of mechanical hard drives. There is unlikely to be any performance gain when the boot device is a (super fast) M.2 storage device.

3) Recommended appropriate M.2 SSD card for this purpose........M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices......

The Samsung 970 series SSDs are usually considered very good but you should do your own research to find the fastest model with good endurance that you can afford. Make sure that the M.2 device is compatible with your motherboard using the specs I've quoted above.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)