Can't download emails via Wanadoo broadband

RoA 20:43 15 Oct 2005

I have been unable to access emails all day via my Wanadoo broadband connection.
As far as I can check from the Wanadoo website there does not seem to be any current service issues.
Apart from emails I am able to use the internet fully.
In Outlook Express I get the error message:
'Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'pop.freeserve.com', Server: 'pop.freeserve.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F'
I usually check emails through ePrompter before downloading the relevant ones but this seems unable to access the Wanadoo server.
I am running XP Home edition.
Any advice or help gratefully received.

lotvic 20:58 15 Oct 2005

I had exactly same message yesterday on a different ISP although I was able to download Hotmail with no probs. It turned out to be a problem on the email sever and NOT on my pc. Today I have been able to collect email with no probs so hopefully yours will resolve itself as well.

RoA 22:07 15 Oct 2005

Thanks lotvic.
I am hoping the same applies. I can actually access my emails via fsmail.

PC Bilbo 22:19 15 Oct 2005

Tiscali offer help re the error no. you report. Try reading their solution.

click here

woodchip 22:23 15 Oct 2005

PS System restore is only needed for C:\Drive if that is ware your Operating System is. and it's the only partition drive that needs protecting

RoA 09:13 16 Oct 2005

Thanks PC Bilbo, problem is still there today (Sunday) so I will work through your suggestions.

RoA 09:22 16 Oct 2005

Problem sorted!
After reading the Microsoft webpage from PC Bilbo's suggestion I looked at my firewall settings and noticed that the Zone Alarm icon was missing from the bottom of the screen. When I reactivated Zone Alarm - success. Thanks again to all who tried to help

woodchip 14:52 16 Oct 2005

Sorry looks like I posted the above in the wrong thread

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?