Can't defrag

curlylad 10:17 27 May 2004

A friend has winxp , every time he tries to defrag the defrag window opens for a few seconds and then closes so after having his PC for over 6 months he hasn't been able to defrag at all.He has no other obvious problems , please advise.

MichelleC 11:25 27 May 2004

If he's done a scannow try error-checking hd 1st. There's a good free defrag Diskeeper Lite click here

Graham ® 11:28 27 May 2004

If he is trying the 'Programs' route to defrag, try this route. My Computer, right click on C drive, Properties, Tools. That will give options for Error checking and Defrag.

Stormpool 11:52 27 May 2004

Boot PC - Tap F8 during bootup

Advance Start Menu - Choose Safe mode

It's recommended to run it in safe mode anyway, as in normal mode the hard drive contents will be constantly changing due to background activity

Timmy!! 12:45 27 May 2004

If he has a Anti Virus program running he should disable that too.

curlylad 10:04 28 May 2004

Timmy!! I'll ask him to try your idea.

Stormpool He's tried that already but thanks.

Graham ® Again , he's also tried this , thanks.

MichelleC I'll pass on your link , thanks.Oh and by the way, nice forum photo , wadaya think of my fish ?

Alebe 22:53 30 May 2004

If your friend has AVG and Popup-stopper, right click and disable them and then try defragment. Both will restart as normal after shutdown and booting up again. Interesting to see what does work.

curlylad 17:56 01 Jun 2004

Sorry I haven't returned to answer this , my friend has the information as supplied by you all and says he will get back to me , so when he does I will let you know the result.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:13 01 Jun 2004

Use this free programme and your defrag will be OK.... click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 and 32 review – hands-on

When is the next Apple event?

Qu’est-ce qu’Amazon Prime ?