cant connect to t'internet

LivEviL 18:43 30 May 2006

Righto people!

heres my problem:-

i cant get on the internet

i have a wireless router where one pc(this one)is connected to wired
and the comp in question connected via wireless

all of a sudden its not connecting to the internet, there is a wireless connection,the router is seeing it, and i havent chanced a thing to the settings! i check all the usual , firewalls ect ect

i have a feeling its sumin to do with the DNS? as msn is only failing on that........but when i go to start>run>cmd> ipconfig it only gives me the ip address and subnet mask which is all correct but there isnt a default gateway!

iv gone into network connections and under the properties of my wireless card gone into the properties of internet protocol (TCP/IP) And typed in the correct ip address, subnet mask and gateway but this still hasnt resolved anything! its on xp home sp2 with a NETGEAR DG834GT wireless router with the latest firmware!

many thanks

mgmcc 19:37 30 May 2006

I would suggest that you delete your wireless network "profile" in the wireless settings and set it up again by running the adapter's software, scanning for Available Wireless Networks, selecting the one that matches your router's SSID and "Connecting" to it. Once "Connected", the adapter should get its IP address in the 192.168.0.x range from the Netgear router and you should have network/internet access.

<<< iv gone into network connections and under the properties of my wireless card gone into the properties of internet protocol (TCP/IP) And typed in the correct ip address, subnet mask and gateway >>>

If the adapter isn't getting its addresses by DHCP from the router, there is a problem and allocating fixed addresses simply hides the fact that adapter and router aren't communicating properly.

LivEviL 17:28 31 May 2006

righto tried that and it didnt work! thank you for your suggestions though

any more ideas people?

LivEviL 18:09 31 May 2006

ok also when i go into ipconfig i get
an ip of 169.254.145.157

and a sub net mask of 255.255.0.0

and no default gateway
which are both wrong there sposed to be 192.168.0.3 and 255.255.255.0 and 192.168.0.1

why is the router not giving me a default gateway and the correct ip address

plus when i ping in cmd i dont get

'pinging 192.168.0.1' i get ' pinging oy' ? which means what? please someone help

ade.h 19:57 31 May 2006

I was doubtful of getting any results for "pinging oy" but as it turns out, it's not complete gibberish. click here and I hope one or more of these links throw some light on at least that particular side of things if nothing else.

LivEviL 20:41 31 May 2006

cheers ade.h that helped a hell of a lot

turns out i had some spy ware or summin in my reg

this little programm worked wonders click here its called winsockxpfix!

ade.h 22:16 31 May 2006

One for the bokmarks. Glad those links came up trumps for you!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?