Can't connect PC wirelessly.Windows 7

hiwatt2 15:20 13 Aug 2018

Hi Folks. I haven't been here for years but have a problem that I can't resolve and would really appreciate some help. I can't connect my PC to the internet wirelessly.I am running windows 7 and have always been connected with my ethernet cable but I'm looking to connect wirelessly. My wireless seems to be disabled on my PC as I can connect my phone to wifi no problem.Wirelss isn't showing in network/sharing.Any help is appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:07 13 Aug 2018

Check in device manager that your wireless card is not disabled

However if you have an Ethernet cable plugged in then that will take precedence

Govan1x 23:57 13 Aug 2018

How old is your computer. Some older computers do not come with Wireless on them.

hiwatt2 16:07 14 Aug 2018

Hi fruitbat. Glad to see you still active here.I'm an old timer here but haven't visited the site for years. It would appear I don't have a wireless card installed. I just assumed (wrongly it would appear)that it had a wireless card built in. @Govan1x my computer is around 7 years old now. Can you recommend a decent one at all?Thanks.

difarn 17:02 14 Aug 2018

I have one of these on an old pc. Works very well. Just plug and play.

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:21 14 Aug 2018

if you do not have wireless fitted then a USB wireless dongle is the easiest way to go as suggested by difarn

Govan1x 21:07 14 Aug 2018

hiwatt. Your old sign in is still about have you forgotten your username and password.

If you want to get it back because you have forgotten your details contact the forum editor. I am sure he will fix it for you.

If you are quite happy with your new one just ignore my comments.

Wireless dongle will do the job for you but you do get a higher speed using an ethernet connection.

If it is a new computer Fruit Bat /\0/\ should be able to advice you what to look out for.

It is a big jump from W7 to W10 if getting a new computer.Maybe a step to far if you have not used W10 before.

If buying a wireless adapter maybe go for the Dual band one.the 2.4ghz ones used to have problems connecting to higher Wireless signals, I think that may have been sorted by now. but not sure.

hiwatt2 14:43 16 Aug 2018

Hi folks. Thanks for the help.I'm familiar with windows 10 as I set up/maintain and use a family members pc running windows 10.I refused the free upgrade as I preferred(at the time)windows 7 so stuck with it.An upgrade might be in order soon though?

Taff™ 18:49 16 Aug 2018

This must be a tower? All laptops would have wireless of that era. Wireless dongle as has been said or maybe Homeplugs.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)