can't connect to the Internet

s99Raj 23:08 13 Jun 2005

I have ntl broadband. I plugged the modem into my laptop and all the necessary internet connections were detected and setup automatically within a few seconds, and I was on the Net.

I've also just built a PC from scratch and loaded XP Prof onto it. I have an Asus A8V-E Deluxe motherboard which has an Ethernet connector on it. I've loaded all appropriate drivers off the CD that came with the m/b. Just like with the laptop I plugged the Ethernet cable into the back of the PC, started IE 6; it said "detecting proxy settings..." but then fails to connect.

What could I be missing??

The lights at the back of the PC connected to the Ethernet port are flashing orange as they should be.

s99Raj 23:36 13 Jun 2005

?

dan11 23:51 13 Jun 2005

Have you checked

That the network card is enabled. Control panel > network connections > local area connection > connected.

Right click it, properties > general tab > tcp/ip > properties. Is obtain an ip address automatically and obtain a dns server automatically,both ticked.

Also look in IE > tools > internet options > connections > lan settings. Is automatically detect settings ticked?

Is your windows and or other firewalls, turned off.

Greengage 09:32 14 Jun 2005

Try unplugging the modem from the mains, wait 20/30 seconds and then plug in and attempt to access internet again.

s99Raj 16:35 14 Jun 2005

Yes, the local area connection says "Enabled".

I have switched the modem off several times for 30 seconds or more and then back on.

The "obtain ip address automatically" and " obtain dns server automatically" are both ticked.

The ntl website tells me to untick "Automatically detect settings" under Tools/Internet Options/Connections/ LAN Settings, so I've done that too.

I've also tried going to Run and typing cmd and then
"netsh int ip reset c:log.txt" as they suggest but this has made no difference.

When I try "ipconfig /all" I get back the ip address as 169.254.29.231 and the ntl website tells me that if it begins with 169 then I will not be able to use the Internet and that troubleshooting is required, but no further.

So what next? My laptop still works fine.

s99Raj 12:38 15 Jun 2005

I've been in touch with Novatech (where I bought the motherboard from) and a guy there went through the settings for ntl with me and said he could see nothing wrong and that I was doing all the right things.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if it's a driver issue, even though I'm using the updated one off the asus website. Has anyone else had problems with setting up an Internet connection with this motherboard (the Asus A8V-E Deluxe)?

roygbiv 13:09 15 Jun 2005

just my experenice, the last few days. DECT phones and Broadband are NOT 100% compatible.

Greengage 11:28 16 Jun 2005

You say you switched off the modem - but did you unplug?

s99Raj 12:43 16 Jun 2005

DECT phones??? What relevance is that?

Yes, I did unplug the modem from the mains for long enough ( sometimes two minutes, sometimes half an hour).

medicine hat 13:52 16 Jun 2005

Are you using a router?

s99Raj 17:05 16 Jun 2005

No, no router - just straight from the PC's LAN port into the cable modem.

I've also tried ipconfig, but after ipconfig /renew I get this message:

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?