Hot Topics

Can't Boot to BIOS with my Windows 10 Desktop PC

SimonBWFC 11:02 11 Jul 2020

My Windows 10 PC which is about 5 years old (can't tell you what spec but it is on an Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 motherboard) and has a SSD drive and two other disc drives. Periodically the PC gets the blue screen of death and generally starts after Microsoft release a major update. The BSOD can be as often as 10 times in a day, some times none (rarely) and I'd typically say 3 times a day.

Following the BSOD I get a black screen and it says something about disconnecting external drives but basically I have to enter the BIOS because the boot sequence has been changed from where the BIOS would normally go to the SSD drive, very occassionally the SSD wouldn't even show, I'd have to hold the start button in again and access the BIOS again until the SSD reappears.

Today I thought sod it I'll reset Windows 10 as there were errors on the event log (which I don't have a clue about). The PC did a BSOD but this time I can't get to the BIOS at all. Just a black screen when I try and boot.

I've tried removing the CMOS battery and leaving for 30 mins and trying again, still nothing.

Is my motherboard goosed? What else could I try?

If the PC is likely to be dead can I use the old drives where I backed up info to as external hard drive to my laptop?

Kind regards

Simon

x13 11:31 11 Jul 2020

Change the CMOS battery is the first thing I'd do.

SimonBWFC 11:41 11 Jul 2020

Battery was replaced perhaps 12 months ago but my wife is picking another as we speak.

SimonBWFC 13:16 11 Jul 2020

Batter changed no improvement.

SimonBWFC 14:37 11 Jul 2020

Precautionary I've ordered a USB to IDE/SATA drive kit so I can access photos and documents if needs be.

Thankfully I duplicate the important stuff on to two drives so I shouldn't have lost much if anything.

Time build a new PC me thinks!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:53 11 Jul 2020

Make widows boot media from MS click here see if it will boot from that

and

SimonBWFC 15:12 11 Jul 2020

Sadly I don't even get to the Bios starting. I've just read a little about POST (power on self test) and I guess it is failing at this point.

x13 12:00 12 Jul 2020

Have you tried the second BIOS?

SimonBWFC 17:06 12 Jul 2020

Hi Yes I as a last ditch I followed a video about shorting out the main bios to use the backup, sadly still nothing.

If I try and put a positive spin on it, I've had it 5+ years, in general it has served me well and some of the components will get used in a new PC.

I've spotted a Ryzen 7 2700x setup (which will be a fair bit faster) at a decent price... sub £600, so not to unhappy!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft to release Surface Duo on 10 September, starting at US$1,399

Landscape Illustration tips from leading illustrators

How Apple Camp at Home can entertain your kids this summer

iPhone 12 (2020) : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs