Canon IP3000 Ink monitor

Lady Lara 21:55 07 May 2005

Have been caught out!! When i print a document the nice little monitor show me how muchink i have in my tanks. Only problem is that they always show full. So this afternoon when it didn't print clearly i checked the tanks and found they were practically empty.... no warnings whatsoever!!! The printer is better than my previous epson but i do miss a decent ink monitor!

Next time i will have spares!!

On a + side..... replacements were very cheap!

shazza65 22:33 07 May 2005

Know how you feel, however I have the IP4000, bought last November 04, kept on thinking I had plenty of ink left in cartridges as always showing full. Thankfully though a yellow icon with a "!" inside showed up telling me that the ink was running low,this was about 6 weeks ago. I decided to buy a full set of inks from 7dayshop.com (very cheap site by the way for consumables) and one month later from intital alert am just starting to replace the cartridges.

My point, I would have thought the software you are running on the IP3000 is the same as the IP4000 therefore you should have had some warning!

jack 12:27 08 May 2005

Ink monitor indicators are only that ,an indicator
based on software taking guesstimates of consumption by counting the sheets a paper passing through the machine and other factors like text or image.

There is no direct link to the ink cartrige, like say a fuel gauge in a car.
So it is all a bit of a gamble.
Though as Shazza has commented Epson do seem to be pretty good guessers, though Which magazine reckoned that as much a 20% can remain when the software says empty.
So whats to do?
Keep spares to hand and change what you get a faded page, I guess to mazimize useage, rather than throwaway edpensive ink.

dave_and_confused 14:09 08 May 2005

"Ink monitor indicators are only that ,an indicator based on software taking guesstimates of consumption by counting the sheets a paper passing through the machine and other factors like text or image."

Sorry but that is simply not always true. I have Canon S630 which uses a light meter to measure the actual ink level in the the cartridge. The cartridges are also made of 100% clear plastic so you can see the ink. The monitor on my PC works very well and warns me when the ink is very low and then stops the printer when empty.

However I'm surprised that the IP300 doesn't use the same monitor as i thought they used similar cartridges.

dave_and_confused 14:21 08 May 2005

Hmmm Appears that the IP3000 uses different cartridges to mine.

From Canons Website "Economical single ink system
See at a glance when a single ink tank needs replacing. Transparent ink tanks for all colours together with an intelligent ink low detection system ensures you don't waste a drop of ink. Each ink tank can be replaced individually, eliminating waste and reducing costs."

Maybe there is a driver issue with the newer range and the light sensor?

I did use a Jetec cartridge once when I needed a yellow in a hurry and could find no compatibles however its made of yellow plastic and has no window to allow the printer to monitor the cartridge.

jack 14:24 08 May 2005

Thank you to Dave the Confused for the 'New to me info' re Canon ink measuring- thats the march of technology for you.

dave_and_confused 14:24 08 May 2005

Picture at the botom of this page shows a cartridge with the sensor marked A - click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?