Cannot start with CD-ROM support

Catastrophe 11:17 20 Mar 2005

I have a newly formatted HDD. OS W98SE.

Using 2 different FDs I choose option 1 from startup disk: Start computer with CD-ROM support and (after "This driver ... etc) it (in both cases)

"Device name : MSCD001
No drives found, aborting installation."

Also, at the bottom it says:
"Device driver not found: 'MSCD001'
No valid CD-ROM device drivers selected.

config.sys seems to have the right lines.

Both HDD and CD-ROM are recognised in BIOS.
C: DIR shows about 20GB correctly.

Any ideas please?

P.S. cannot go through Win95 (last Win on floppies) as it says incorrect DOS.

Catastrophe 11:42 20 Mar 2005

I found this on Google:

"MSCD001 or MTMIDE01 are not files but instead a name associated with a driver. An example of what may be seen in your autoexec.bat or config.sys may look like:

DEVICE=C:\CD-ROM\MITSUMI.SYS /D:MTMIDE01

the /D:MTMIDE01 is not a driver, it is a name associated with a driver, and when that driver loads it will then be given the MTMIDE01 name. In the above example the name of the driver is MITSUMI.SYS.

A computer can receive an error that MSCD001 or MTMIDE01 may not be able to load either because the MSCDEX.EXE driver is missing or corrupted or the CD-ROM driver is missing or corrupted and therefore cannot be loaded and the name cannot be associated."

but I have this in my config.sys (A: drive):

device=oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001

and it happens with two different startup disks.

Technotiger 11:43 20 Mar 2005

I asume you are trying to instal from cd.
Can you get into the BIOS (by holding down Del during start-up)and choose first boot device as CD rather than FD or HDD? Then try and boot with CD in drive.

Not sure if this would work - but worth a try.

Cgeers.

Catastrophe 12:08 20 Mar 2005

Technotiger

"I asume you are trying to instal from cd."

Correct

"Can you get into the BIOS (by holding down Del during start-up)and choose first boot device as CD rather than FD or HDD? "Then try and boot with CD in drive."

Yes, but there is no access to the CD.

Thanks for the suggestions.

:)

pj123 12:14 20 Mar 2005

Give click here a try and download a windows 98se "bootdisk" as opposed to a "startup" disk.

Catastrophe 04:56 21 Mar 2005

pj123

I never had problems with startup disk before but I will try your suggestion. Is not bootdisk the same as startup disk?

pj123 11:41 21 Mar 2005

Yes and No. Some startup disks do not contain all the files needed. The bootdisk is tailor made to get you started with all the files necessary to fdisk, partition, and format hard disks. It also has a generic CD driver on it.

Give it a try anyway.

Yoda Knight 12:30 21 Mar 2005

if your bios is old (and I suspect it is if you cant choose to boot from cd) then it may be reporting your cd rom as found, even though it has a problem.... Can u try the cd rom in a different machine ?

Catastrophe 12:46 21 Mar 2005

pj123

I have tried one of those with the same result. Also startup disks made from 3 different computers. All same result.

Looking at the drive, it is recognised at boot and fdisk shows primary dos status A. Also showing about 20 GB free.

Catastrophe 12:50 21 Mar 2005

Yoda Knight

"if your bios is old (and I suspect it is if you cant choose to boot from cd) then it may be reporting your cd rom as found, even though it has a problem...."

I do have the option to boot from CD and SCSI and LS120. The problem is the CD is not recognised by the startup disk although it is in the boot sequence.

"Can u try the cd rom in a different machine ?"

Good idea. I will try that thanks.

:)

Yoda Knight 13:01 21 Mar 2005

"The problem is the CD is not recognised by the startup disk although it is in the boot sequence."

You dont need the startup disk if u can boot from the cd, depending on what you want to do...

I think we need sum clarification on what you need access to the cd from the dos prompt for - there may be an easier way to overcome this problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?