Cannot save word documents now

davecartman 08:27 18 Apr 2019
Answered

I have on my laptop (W7) Microsoft Word Starter 2010.I very rarely use this except for the odd letter I need to write and am not very familiar with its features.Of late if I create a document it will not save, I get a box which says 'Word cannot complete the save due to a file permission error ) ( C:\User\Dave\Documents\m1.dox ) Can anyone tell me what to do ? Apologies if this is ridiculously simple but so am I.

Taff™ 10:38 18 Apr 2019

Check the file type - it should be asaving as a Word Document ending in .docx

Alternativel try file>Save As

davecartman 16:43 18 Apr 2019

Hi Taff. The default is Word Document, I Have tried a few of the 'save as' options all with the same result.

difarn 17:25 18 Apr 2019

Have you tried 'save as' then changing the name of the file? Sometimes an antivirus can cause this permissions error - have you tried disabling it and then trying to save? To see if it is a problem with a corrupted user profile are you able to save a document in another account - guest for example.

KEITH 1955 17:52 18 Apr 2019

I use student home office 2007 and before anyone says I am making myself a security risk I only use word and the only word docs I get by email are holiday receipts , on the rare occasion I get a word file sent me I open it on my tablet to keep my pc safe.

With regards to your problem when I installed the Microsoft package on my latest pc it went through a funny stage , old word files were kept saved as *.doc , however , documents saved AFTER been installed on my latest pc were saved as docx.

Click start then open the Microsoft office folder and you should find "office diagnosis tool" , run it and it should fix your current problem.

wee eddie 19:43 18 Apr 2019

I'm using Word 2010 now. These are the options available

Click Save As > There are 2 entry points > The top one (File Name) has the name of the File in it, followed by the allocated Extension > the lower one (Save as type) has a downward arrow on the right hand end > Click on that and it will open a list of options > For me, the top Option is Word Document (*.docx) > Select that one and the line above will change to yourfilename.docx

KEITH 1955 23:03 18 Apr 2019

you are right eddie , as you already know you choose save as then click on the folder or location you want it to go to

davecartman 08:09 19 Apr 2019

wee eddie and keith, when I click save as, the box appears, first the very top line, the destination I assume is libraries>documents>this line has no alternatives.Of the others the file name has the name ( unless changed the first word of the document + the figure 1)and the second ( save as type ) has Word Document in it as you both say the drop down gives alternatives but nowhere in either box does (*.docx) show and the file name does not change to have .docx after it. Is this causing the problem ? Keith, I cannot find 'office diagnosis tool' I am probably looking in the wrong place, when I click on word starter the program simply opens.

davecartman 08:32 19 Apr 2019

UpdateI have just gone back to an idea from difarn. I have turned of the 'Avast shields' for 10 min's and the documents save! why do the antivirus shields cause this

KEITH 1955 10:41 19 Apr 2019

Av does odd things my paid for kaspereky stops sys restore working unless i disable it

difarn 18:40 20 Apr 2019
Answer

Somewhere along the line it is possible that you received a message from Avast asking you if you wanted Avast to prevent something. Are you able to go into the Avast user interface, click on Ransomeware Shield, click blocked/allowed apps, Click block an app or allow an app, select an application and click open and if word appears in the list click allow.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 5G UK Release Date, Price & Specification

Apple logo creator Rob Janoff reveals his tips on design success - and the surprise influences on…

WWDC 2019 dates and what to expect

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables (2019)