Hot Topics

Cannot run CHKDSK - says insufficient privileges

wildhouse 21:58 17 Sep 2015

I want to run CHKDSK to check if my hard drive is on the way out,however, I get the message: Access denied you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode.

Can anyone advise how I can get around this? This is my own computer and no-one else has had access to change my permissions.

Govan1x 23:02 17 Sep 2015

Maybe run it from cmd as administrator. Not sure what the commands are you would need to google for them.

wildhouse 23:42 17 Sep 2015

Thanks, Govan1X. Googled the problem and found a helpful website (www.askleo.com) which showed me how to run the Command prompt as administrator. It seems to have worked, in that I have been able to run CHKDSK (although it shows system32 in the prompt and I have a 64 bit system); whichever I have, it is showing errors so my next thing is to figure out how to fix them!

robin_x 02:19 18 Sep 2015

Example:

chkdsk c: /f /r

=-=-=-=

Special Folders

robin_x 02:22 18 Sep 2015

If unsure of any command /? gives help for the 'switches'.

eg chkdsk /?

Govan1x 06:03 18 Sep 2015

What version of Windows are you using. If W7 or under just right click C Drive and choose properties. Click on tools and tick both boxes. You may have to reboot to get it started.

I presume you are using W8 or W10 though.

Maybe give system file checker a run to see if it finds any problems on your computer. Run cmd as administrator and type in sfc /scannow and see if it finds any problems and repairs them or cannot repair them.

Some more here to try.

Click here

wildhouse 19:50 18 Sep 2015

Thanks, all. Have now figured out how to run the prompt as as administrator and I now need to do CHKDSK/F; however, every time I try, I get the message The volume in use by another process. Anyone any ideas what this could be referring to? (I don't have a browser open when I try - I have also followed their prompt to type Y (Y/N) to try at re-start, but that isn't working either. I am running Windows 7.

robin_x 20:13 18 Sep 2015

Reboot and repeatedly tap F8 until the Repair menu comes up and select repair your computer.

Follow your nose until you get the menu with Command Prompt.

Note that Windows should not have been loaded.

You need to find the Windows Partition from this Command Prompt X:\ virtual repair drive.

Drive letters may be different

Type *dir c: /o /p

dir d: /o /p

dir e: /o /p* - etc, until you spot Windows

Then type chkdsk driveletter: /f /r

robin_x 20:17 18 Sep 2015

Should read-

Type dir c: /o /p

dir d: /o /p

dir e: /o /p - etc, until you spot Windows

Then type chkdsk driveletter: /f /r

wildhouse 22:31 18 Sep 2015

Looks a bit worrying - hope my computer survives my attempts to do this! Will print off and attempt to fix tomorrow.

Govan1x 08:59 20 Sep 2015

Not sure if this is any good to you but it is free just now.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Resident Evil 3 review

Online portfolios: how to get your work out there while staying in

Apple 'to drop support for Apple Watch Series 2'

Les meilleurs gadgets high-tech pour voitures (2020)