Cannot read PDF Files from Internet

JF25 21:21 28 Apr 2004

I am unable to read PDF Files i.e. things like train timetables. This is something new as I used to access these automatically. When I click on the button the screen now fills with letters and numbers which make no sense to me. My service help tells me that the hard disk is corrupted and I will have to re format it. This seems a bit drastic as everything else appears to be working.
I currently have Norton antivirus 2002 which is updated automatically and I am worried that if I reformat I will lose all the recent updates and so be unprotected. Any comments on either point would be appreciated
JF25

Mister Splendid 21:23 28 Apr 2004

Go to click here and download and install the Adobe Acrobat reader.

TommyRed 21:30 28 Apr 2004

How old is your version of Acrobat, how often do you use PDF files? Adobe has recently hanged/updated Acrobat if I remember. Might be worth a visit to their site to see if an upgrade works, as you say re-formatting is a bit drastic if everything else is working fine. Do you have up to date Anti-Virus protection, and run Ad-Aware and Spybot regularly and also keep them regularly updated? HTH TR

TommyRed 21:32 28 Apr 2004

'hanged' should read 'changed'. TR

Wak 09:31 29 Apr 2004

Hi, Adobe Reader installs plug-ins into Internet Explorer so that you can download and read PDF files in IE. However, if you ever update Internet Explorer in any way, then it is possible that the updates will remove these Adobe plug-ins. Therefore, you must re-install Adobe again after you have updated IE. so that the plug-ins are re-installed on top of IE. You should then be able to download and read PDF files. It's just a great pity that Adobe and Microsoft can't get together on this point.

JF25 18:22 29 Apr 2004

I have uninstalled my original Adobe reader and installed Reader 6 from the PC Adviser disk but no difference. The problem seems to be inability of computer to find Adobe from the internet. When I click on the icon for Adobe on my desktop it comes up on the screen. I am running windows 98 2nd edition at present and I.E.6 and have not updated I.E. lately.
Thank you for your replies.
JF25

JF25 18:22 29 Apr 2004

I have uninstalled my original Adobe reader and installed Reader 6 from the PC Adviser disk but no difference. The problem seems to be inability of computer to find Adobe from the internet. When I click on the icon for Adobe on my desktop it comes up on the screen. I am running windows 98 2nd edition at present and I.E.6 and have not updated I.E. lately.
Thank you for your replies.
JF25

Wak 20:17 29 Apr 2004

I have Win98 SE and Adobe Reader 5.0.
When I first had problems with pdf files I used to get the small square with three coloured shapes in the top left corner of the browser.
After re-installing Adobe (complete with all plug-ins) on top of I.E. 6.0, the problem was resolved.
I assume that the Adobe 6.0 you installed was complete with the plug-ins???
Can you open a pdf file which is already on your hard drive OK using Adobe???
If your screen fills with letters and numbers when opening a pdf file from the web then you obviously have a different problem.
I'm only sorry I can't help with that one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?