cannot do a screenshot on my laptop

davecartman 07:37 12 Mar 2019
Answered

Hi I am having difficulties with the HMRC website and have been asked to take a screenshot of what I am experiencing. This is something I am not familiar with but a quick Google says hold down FN key and PRTSC key but when I do this nothing happens. O.S. is windows 7 home premium. Any help would be much appreciated.

hastelloy 07:41 12 Mar 2019

Hold down Alt key and press Print Screen key. Then open Word (or similar) and click on paste.

davecartman 07:53 12 Mar 2019

Hi Hastelloy Thanks for quick reply, I did not realise I had to open and paste to Paint. I was expecting some sort of window to open when I pressed the keys so thought nothing was happening. I should be able to sort it now, thanks again.

Kevin Alders 10:34 12 Mar 2019
Answer

I was expecting some sort of window to open when I pressed the keys so thought nothing was happening.

Snipping Tool would have been a better option.

john bunyan 10:52 12 Mar 2019

On latest Windows 10 snipping tool has been replaced with Snip and Sketch.

Snip And sketch

john bunyan 10:53 12 Mar 2019

On W7 I guess snipping tool is still in use.

Kevin Alders 11:20 12 Mar 2019

On latest Windows 10 snipping tool has been replaced with Snip and Sketch.

Its still available on Windows10.

wee eddie 11:36 12 Mar 2019

I appear to have both.

Just open the Windows Logo at the Bottom Left of the Task Bar and type "Snip"

davecartman 08:36 14 Mar 2019

Thanks for info' on snipping tool, I simply did not realise it existed. Doh

Gordon Freeman 08:50 14 Mar 2019

On win 10 you can drag snipping tool to the bottom taskbar area so it's always there for you to single click, as opposed to having to search for it every time. Might be worth seeing if you can do that on win 7, I'm sure you can.

KEITH 1955 17:58 14 Mar 2019

Hi Dave I think you would be better using the snipping tool as you can either draw oblongs around the part of the screen information you are looking at or you can use free hand mode just to draw round the bits you want.

I had a strange experience using print screen/paint combination , I screenshotted a whole web page and found out later that if I clicked on the attachment I sent the short cuts on the toolbar were active but not sure how that happened.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Magical mystery tour - Artist colourfully customises bus to promote positive mental health

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel est le meilleur iPad ?