Cannot connect via wi-fi

wids001 09:41 04 Mar 2010

A couple of days ago when using my main computer as I went into IE7 to connect to the inmternet I was presented with a set-up screen for my Netgear Router. Switching to my AOL browser I got an error on connection, so I went through and reinstalled the info (passwords etc) into the router. I was then able to connect to the internet using either IE7 or AOL no problem, and haven't had a problem since.

However last evening my son couldn't connect his laptop to the internet using the wi-fi connection. It kept asking for a user name & password to connect to the network. I entered these but still nothing.

When I checked his available wi-fi connections the "home" (our household) connection wasn't showing, however one called "Netgear" was! He can connect to the internet by using a cable to the router but not via wi-fi.

Anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong. My desktop runs XP SP2 connected to Virgin cable. My son's laptop runs Windows 7

rdave13 10:24 04 Mar 2010

If the router isn't broadcasting it's SSID then try a manual set-up; click here
Shows for Vista but same for Win 7.

PalaeoBill 11:33 04 Mar 2010

It could be that the wi-fi part of your netgear router has developed a fault. I had a DG834G that developed a similar problem to the one you are describing. It worked fine as a wired router but not wi-fi. It would broadcast its configured SSID for a minute or two after reconfiguring but then the router would stop broadcasting or revert to broadcasting the factory default SSID.

I opened up the case to discover that it had a wireless card plugged into a socket inside the router, similar to the ones that fit inside laptops. I tried re-seating it but it didn't fix the problem. I bought a new router in the end.

Woolwell 11:40 04 Mar 2010

It is possible that the router has "lost" the wi-fi settings. Try setting up the wi-fi again - SSID, security type and password.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Artist Helen Friel on designing paper models for everyone to make

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts