Cannot connect to Desktop connection via laptop.

shanjade 05:04 09 Jun 2009

Hi everyone,

well I just got a new laptop today and I've spent hours trying to connect it.
It's running on Windows Vista, my Desktop is Windows XP.

My Desktop is connected via a crossover cable from my computer, to my mums. Therefore my internet connection is running off my mums.

When I got my laptop, basically I just pulled the crossover cable out, which obviously disconnected my Desktop, and I put it into my laptop.
Before that, the laptop said 'You are not connected to any networks.' or something along those lines. After, it said I was connected to a "Unknown Connection" ? I think it said unknown, maybe it said unverified :S I can't remember..
But anyway, it had 3 pictures.
1. USER-PC (This Computer.) - The laptop.
it then had a line, which was marked green, going over to the connection it was connected to. So..
2. Unverified/Unknown (whatever it is.) Connection.
So it was telling me it had successfully connected to this connection. But then it had this.
3. Internet.
and it had a line going from Unknown/Unverified connection to Internet. and it had a big red cross over it..
So now it's telling me it isn't connected to the internet, but is connected to the network?

Gosh :S I don't know. That confused me even just typing it.
Does anyone know whats wrong? What I have to do?

And please, if you do, please give explanations and solutions in detail. Networking is not my thing, as you can probably tell.

Thanks a bunch. :) x

shanjade 05:05 09 Jun 2009

oh, yeah.
also, if it helps any, I am trying to connect to a broadband router.

ambra4 06:55 09 Jun 2009

“I am trying to connect to a broadband router”

What is the make and model no of the router?

If it a true router and not a modem you just connect each computer via a “Straight Ethernet RJ45 Cable”

to the router Lan ports at the back

Sample of a Modem and Router

click here

shanjade 06:10 10 Jun 2009

don't worry guys, I fixed it. thanks for your help, anyway :)

but, anyway, on a different note, now that everything is up and running, there is a problem.

I am running Vista Home Premium, and this is probably why..
I'll be doing my work, on myspace, you know, whatever. and randomly I'll click a window to open it, and it literally goes everywhere.
I mean, the pictures within it go everywhere, the windows explorer bar partially disappears and windows within the explorer bar are overlapping each other!!
I have no idea what to do!
please help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Best Keyboards for Designers & Artists

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)