Cannot complete System Restore-Why?

Kooji 13:26 19 Nov 2008

Hi All.
I have recently installed AVG free antivirus plus Spyware Blaster and Zone Alarm. Since then, I've been unable to complete a System Restore. I just comes up with:"unable to complete system restore". Can anyone explain why this is and is there a way to overcome this? Idiot proof answers-much appreciated. (I am running windows XP)
Cheers:
Kooji.

wee eddie 13:32 19 Nov 2008

Another Anti-Virus Program on your PC?

Kooji 13:49 19 Nov 2008

wee eddie. Thanks for your really prompt response.
I had previously un-installed Norton Anti Virus when the subscription ran out. Unfortunately I am a complete novice when it comes to understanding computers. Is there a way I can find out if there is an additional anti virus programme running?

sunnystaines 13:55 19 Nov 2008

disable all firewall and AV temp then retry.

Kooji 14:02 19 Nov 2008

Sorry sunnystaines, I don't understand your message. Do you mean disable, Firewall and Anti virus protection and they try to complete a sytem restore?

Kooji

Clapton is God 14:12 19 Nov 2008

How did you uninstall Norton?

Did you use their uninstall tool?

If not, it might be worth running it anyway, in case there are bits of Norton AV still lurking on your PC click here

By the way, sunnystaines is suggesting that you disable (i.e. turn off) your AV and firewall temporarily and then try System Restore.

Kooji 15:30 19 Nov 2008

Sorry guys, I've been fiddling around with this stuff for the last hour now and I can't work out how to turn off the Firewall and AVG protection and I'm getting really frustrated. I did run the Norton removal tool again. Anyway thanks to all for your responses.

Kooji.

birdface 22:06 19 Nov 2008

Try running it in safe mode.[just keep tapping F8 as the computer starts.]

luthier 08:50 20 Nov 2008

I had the same problem with Kaspersky av. I use a hardware firewall so the only software firewall I use is the windows one.

If I disabled the Kaspersky (right clicked on the icon on the taskbar and selected stop protection or something similar) then system restore would work ok. I'm not sure whether this applies to you but it's worth a try.

Don't forget to enable the antivirus when you've finished.

Good luck.

JanetO 09:00 20 Nov 2008

You'll have more chance of success if you try buteman's suggestion and restore in safemode. It doesn't load any drivers.

Kooji 12:31 20 Nov 2008

May I say a great big THANK YOU to all that responded to my plea. I did indeed try a restore in 'Safe Mode' and it worked just fine so that's how I'll be doing it in future.

I've said it before, what a geat forum this is to have such willing and helpful people on hand at the touch of a mouse..... to get fools like me out of trouble!!

Cheer to ALL.

Kooji

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?