Cannot boot windows from an SSD

Lewis235 17:30 26 Jun 2018

Hello, I recently purchased a Samsung 860 evo 1tb ssd. Upon trying to reinstall Windows, I ran into several problems. Most of these involved UEFI issues. After thinking I resolved these and installing windows onto the ssd, it goes into an installation loop. Even after removing the usb with the installation media it refuses to boot from the SSD, providing the error message that I need to select a boot device.

If it is relevant, prior to this I had several problems getting windows to install onto the ssd in the first place. It seemed that it would not install with UEFI settings in the bios on. If it matters, my system specs are as follows: Gigabytes z170xp-sli motherboard I5 7500 cpu Gtx 1070 16gm ddr4 at 2333mhz

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I have ran out of ideas. Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:28 26 Jun 2018
  1. make sure the SSD is plugged into he lowest numbered SATA port

2. I assume you have removed your old HDD

Lewis235 18:30 26 Jun 2018

It is in the lowest sata slot and I have removed the old hdd

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:16 26 Jun 2018

before or after installing windows to the SSD?

Lewis235 20:49 26 Jun 2018

I did those steps before installing windows

Archie44 10:15 27 Jun 2018

c this might helpinsatll win

and maybe this

enter link description here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:13 27 Jun 2018

boot from the USB drive and go to the repair options and do a startup repair. to install the startfiles into the hidden system reserved partition.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon Prime Day 2018: Best Deals & Launches

Say aloha to the summertime vibes of artist Kim Sielbeck

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Les meilleures séries Amazon Prime Video (2018)