Can you run an external hard drive with USB1.1?

bionicle 14:37 29 Dec 2007

My computer is getting a bit old and I dont feel its worth taking it in to get upgraded with USB 2.0. It only has a 40 GB hard drive which is now full. Will the slower rate of data transfer through my USB 1.1 mean that I will not be able to play audio and video files stored on an external drive?

Pamy 14:42 29 Dec 2007

not in the least

anchor 14:44 29 Dec 2007

My old PC had USB 1. I had no problems in playing music, or watching my own WMV movies from the external hard drive.

However, upgrading to a USB 2 card is very cheap.

click here

bionicle 14:55 29 Dec 2007

Thanks Pamy and anchor.
Is the USB 2 upgrade easy to install myself? Are there any DIY links. Also anchor did you notice much of a difference between USB 1.1 and USB 2?

Pamy 15:24 29 Dec 2007

here is guide to fittig a PCI card (that is what your USB2 card is)click here

Pamy 15:24 29 Dec 2007

here is guide to fittig a PCI card (that is what your USB2 card is)click here

DieSse 17:13 29 Dec 2007

"....did you notice much of a difference between USB 1.1 and USB 2?"

There's no difference at all when playing back, of course.

But on transferring stuff onto your external drive there's a very big difference in speed.

bionicle 22:46 29 Dec 2007

Thanks DieSse. Thats helped. I have a 30GB i-pod and know it takes a while to transfer data. I'm thinking of getting a 160GB i-pod and wouldn't mind too much about a slow transfer of initially large volumes of data as long as I can then access one or two items and play them back without the playback stalling. I think I might also follow up on Pamys link to install USB 2.

bionicle 22:47 29 Dec 2007

sorry, forgot to tick resolved

bluto1 22:59 29 Dec 2007

I've seen other tutorials on this subject and they lacked the logic and care of this one. I raise my glass to St Andrews from Trinity College, Dublin.

Totally-braindead 12:30 30 Dec 2007

There is a huge difference is moving files on USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 and I might be wrong here but I think some of the iPods will only work on USB 2.0 so buying a PCI card is really an essential rather than a luxury. And you will really notice the speed difference.
Heres some more examples click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro review: Hands-on

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?