Can a virus spread from a memory card into new PC

erkmatrix 18:42 22 Aug 2006

Hi before I try my machine, I don't know if my old machine had this major virus that prevented me doing anything or just basically had packed up as it was 6 years old, my question is as I'm taken out of my old PC the memory card, and soundcard to put in my new machine, just wanted to know before I try the thing if by any chance a virus can spread through the soundcard or memory card into my new machine.

Cheers
Phil

erkmatrix 19:04 22 Aug 2006

I don't know if I really need bother then, the new machine come with 2Meg of RAM and I did buy last year
a 512k memory chip to go with my old machine which had two 256K chips in, I though I'd add the 512k and one of the yes 6 years old 256K chips to my new machine, but would you advise against this.

I've not turned it on yet as was waiting to make sure it OK now to install old memory, I don't want it blowin up or anything.

erkmatrix 19:31 22 Aug 2006

they both slotting in fine so I think they are 184 pin actually, would I damage it if I tried , maybe I should just try with the 512 bought last year.

wee eddie 20:39 22 Aug 2006

The new memory will run at the same speed as the old. You will end up with very much slower memory, if it works at all.

wee eddie 23:07 22 Aug 2006

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to Watch Honor 20 Launch Live Stream

The Best Game of Thrones creative projects inspired by the hit show

iPhone 5G release date rumours

Comment publier des photos sur Instagram depuis un PC ?