Can use a power supply for pc and another for gpu?

Cryptillian 03:52 20 May 2018

So I recently bought a new power supply for my desktop so I could get a better graphics card and upgrade it to play my high demand games at a much higher performance, but while my boyfriend tried to help me a figure it out and give me some tips (over text so it’s a bit tricky) I realized that I got super unlucky, kinda got a little too exited, and forgot to double check some things before buying the power supply and it is not compatible with my pc... it however is of course compatible with my graphics card. I was wondering if it was even possible to safely use my old power supply just for my pc and my new one just to run my graphics card? Also my pc can not fit two power supplies inside the tower (because there are too many coords I can’t really move anywhere else) so could I have my pc open when being used if this is an option or should I avoid this? Accuse me of any of this sounds stupid, I’m still trying to learn how this all works lol... any help is much appreciated!

alanrwood 10:36 20 May 2018

I don't think this will work. The graphics card is inserted into a socket slot on the motherboard and takes power from the PSU supplying the motherboard via that socket. So the only the secondary power supply to the Graphics card is via the power socket on the GPU. Connecting this to a second independent PSU has the danger of where its voltages are referenced to unless both are referenced to a common rail. I am not sure if this would occur via the GPU itself but I would not dream of risking a blown motherboard/GPU for the sake of getting the correct PSU for what you need to power the computer. A PSU is certainly cheaper than a new motherboard/GPU/Processor.

Good thinking though on your part.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:18 20 May 2018

Its a solution though not an elegant solution :0)Personally I would return the new PSU for one that fits. Why is it not suitable for your PC ?Make and model of PC and make and model of PSU?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

FIFA 19 review

Design a vector map packed with creatures and landmarks

iPhone XS vs iPhone X: What is the difference?

Comment désactiver la lecture automatique des vidéos sur Chrome ?