Can USB 1.1 be used with broadband?

CurlyWhirly 23:35 14 Jul 2005

My friend wants to update to broadband from dial-up but after running Everest he has found out that he only has USB 1.1 installed on his PC as it is quite old.

He has a CPU running at 533 mhz so it *should* be sufficient for broadband.
Should he buy a USB 2 card to emulate the faster speed or is USB 1.1 fast enough at 12 m/bits per second?

I personally think it is fast enough as the broadband connection he is going for is 1 mb which will only use approximately 1/12th of his bandwidth - is this right?

I am under the impression that USB 2.0 (running at 480 M/bits per second) is *only* needed in hard drives or where data thansfer speeds are important - is this right?

Cheers.

DieSse 23:38 14 Jul 2005

USB 1.1 will be fine.

woodchip 23:39 14 Jul 2005

USB2 will not work as 2 only 1 as it old computer and more than likely 98 or ME

Danoh 23:41 14 Jul 2005

Yes, USB 1.1 will be fine for broadband. My PC only had 1.1 until I added a USB 2.0 card, but I've always run my broadband (now 2Mbps) via the 1.1 connection.

I've experimented with USB 2.0 and ethernet connections but they did not show any real life advantage which backs up the theory.

CurlyWhirly 23:42 14 Jul 2005

Thanks.

Yes woodchip his operating system *is* Windows 98 SE.

I think I am right in thinking that his 533 mhz processor is fast enough as well so I will tick. ;0)

Gizmo.mp3 23:42 14 Jul 2005

"I personally think it is fast enough as the broadband connection he is going for is 1 mb which will only use approximately 1/12th of his bandwidth - is this right?"
Yup. Careful not to confuse MBits and Mbytes - a "1Mb" connection will be 1 Mbit - 1024Kb.

I'm making the assumption that the ISP is going to provide him with a USB modem - personally I find a router is a more convenient solution (has its own power supply, can remember settings and passwords, etc) but I did have to buy it!

USB2 is very useful when you have things like digital cameras/camcorders, etc with large files needing to be transferred...

Danoh 23:42 14 Jul 2005

I've had XP from new, on my PC with USB 1.1 MoBo. Full USB 2.0 bandwidth achieved via the extra PCI card.

Gizmo.mp3 23:43 14 Jul 2005

must learn to type quicker :)

Eargasm 23:44 14 Jul 2005

My broadband is working a treat here on USB 1.1

CurlyWhirly 23:45 14 Jul 2005

Thanks all. I will tell him the good news as he has been dying to get broadband after seeing it in action for the first time a few days ago!
Resolved.

CurlyWhirly 23:48 14 Jul 2005

[Quote]I'm making the assumption that the ISP is going to provide him with a USB modem - personally I find a router is a more convenient solution

Yes he is going to be supplied with a USB modem as I don't really think he relishes the idea of buying a router!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)