Can USB 1.1 be used with broadband?

CurlyWhirly 23:35 14 Jul 2005

My friend wants to update to broadband from dial-up but after running Everest he has found out that he only has USB 1.1 installed on his PC as it is quite old.

He has a CPU running at 533 mhz so it *should* be sufficient for broadband.
Should he buy a USB 2 card to emulate the faster speed or is USB 1.1 fast enough at 12 m/bits per second?

I personally think it is fast enough as the broadband connection he is going for is 1 mb which will only use approximately 1/12th of his bandwidth - is this right?

I am under the impression that USB 2.0 (running at 480 M/bits per second) is *only* needed in hard drives or where data thansfer speeds are important - is this right?

Cheers.

woodchip 23:39 14 Jul 2005

USB2 will not work as 2 only 1 as it old computer and more than likely 98 or ME

CurlyWhirly 23:42 14 Jul 2005

Thanks.

Yes woodchip his operating system *is* Windows 98 SE.

I think I am right in thinking that his 533 mhz processor is fast enough as well so I will tick. ;0)

Eargasm 23:44 14 Jul 2005

My broadband is working a treat here on USB 1.1

CurlyWhirly 23:45 14 Jul 2005

Thanks all. I will tell him the good news as he has been dying to get broadband after seeing it in action for the first time a few days ago!
Resolved.

CurlyWhirly 23:48 14 Jul 2005

[Quote]I'm making the assumption that the ISP is going to provide him with a USB modem - personally I find a router is a more convenient solution

Yes he is going to be supplied with a USB modem as I don't really think he relishes the idea of buying a router!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

FIFA 19 review

How the brilliant, moving Oscar-nominated film The Breadwinner was visually brought to life

iPhone XS vs iPhone X: What is the difference?

Pixel 3 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs