Can ram be upgraded on laptop with Intel optane?

Dan Boxall 20:00 21 Sep 2018

I've googled the question, but can't find any answers. Can the ram be upgraded on a computer that uses optane? Thanks

wee eddie 21:05 21 Sep 2018

Using the Computer in question. Visit the Crucial website and run its advisor

Secret-Squirrel 09:02 22 Sep 2018

Despite being called "Intel Optane Memory", it's actually a hard-disk cache that's used to accelerate system performance on slow drives

Can the ram be upgraded on a computer that uses optane?

Yes it can - providing of course that your laptop's RAM is upgradeable. Let me know its model number and I'll tell you whether it's possible as some aren't nowadays.

Dan Boxall 11:59 22 Sep 2018

Thanks. It's an ideapad 330s - I know the laptop does have upgradeable ram, but just wasn't sure if optane could be upgraded. Now I know. Thanks a lot!

Secret-Squirrel 16:14 22 Sep 2018

It's an ideapad 330s

The bad news is that it doesn't have a dedicated maintenance hatch, but the good news is that it shouldn't be too much faff getting inside. Here's a copy 'n' paste courtesy of notebookcheck.net:

The bottom cover of the IdeaPad 330S can be removed once all the screws on the underside of the device are undone. After you remove the bottom cover you will have access to the innards of the device. This means that you will be able to clean the fan, replace the HDD or change the battery. A black plate covers the entire motherboard, to which it is secured by means of four screws. Once you remove this plate you will be able to access the Optane unit and the RAM.

.......but just wasn't sure if optane could be upgraded.

If your laptop has 4GB of RAM then upgrade that. Optane is not a solution for systems crippled by insufficient RAM.

If you do want to upgrade the Optane module to a higher capacity one then that's fine but note that it's essential to disable it first so that the module can return its files back to the hard drive. If you simply remove it then your laptop will never boot.

wee eddie 16:48 22 Sep 2018

Bit of a Con really. Almost all Hard Drives have a Cache.

Intel have just given it a name

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

34 tips for turning your art and graphics into amazing animated GIFs

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs