can not start my win 98 pc

Teddington 21:05 20 Oct 2003

I have just scanned my pc with some virus software and removed some viruses. All seemed fine until I tried to turn on the pc and all that came up was

non system disk error remove disk and press enter.

It will then do nothing. I had a dell diagnostics disk and it found a problem with a USB test.

I have no idea what to do now. The hard disk never seems to be accessed when the pc is booted.

sorry to be so vauge but i am having a bit of a night mare

VoG II 21:11 20 Oct 2003

Do you remember the names of the viruses? Which anti-virus program did you use to remove them? What version of Windows do you have?

VoG II 21:15 20 Oct 2003

Sorry, the OS is in the title.

cycoze 23:37 20 Oct 2003

You havent by chance left a floppy disc or CD in one of the drives have you ? if so , remove them and try again.

try to access the bios and change the boot up order and set it to boot from the hard disk first

woodchip 23:56 20 Oct 2003

Start computer with Win98 Floppy disc and at A:\> type SCANREG/RESTORE and choose the oldest date there is. It will only go back about five so it may get you going

woodchip 23:58 20 Oct 2003

Your Error usually denotes you left a floppy disc in the computer when you started windows. and it's asking you to remove it

alanbon 00:48 21 Oct 2003

sounds like a master boot record virus to me do you have recovery disks on floppy for your virus software

woodchip 10:11 21 Oct 2003

If it's that start with floppy and type FDISK/MBR to remove a VIRUS IN BOOT

DieSse 11:10 21 Oct 2003

Type FDISK /MBR - note the space.

woodchip 11:16 21 Oct 2003

Space don't make no difference it still works

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?