Can not start Google Chrome

indego 12:04 06 Jan 2017

Afternoon all, and a happy New Year to you.

My pc is a HP Pavilion running Windows 7. When I open Google Chrome, which is my home page, I get the message: The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe for more detail. When I type in sxstrace.exe in the search bar at the bottom left corner, a black screen with white text appears for a split second then disappears, so I cant read what any instructions that may be there. In an attempt to resolve the issue, I went to Control Panel then to the Google icon only to find it had changed from the multi coloured icon to what I can only describe as a green and white icon. I right clicked it and Uninstall was in bold and under that (faintly) was Repair. Clicking on Repair I got a message asking for a Google Chrome disk, which I do not have. Help please.

I must add that, for various reasons I have not been able to logon this year until now.

difarn 17:18 06 Jan 2017

Have you tried a fresh install of Chrome? According to this article it has been a problem in the past. Quite a few posters say that they just installed a new version without uninstalling the old one and it worked with bookmarks in tact. I don't know if you are prepared to take the risk. I believe that it has something to do with the .net framework. Are your updates up-to-date?

click here

bretsky 17:54 06 Jan 2017

Take a look at this, just one of many videos to sort this problem out.

click here

indego 01:07 07 Jan 2017

Thank you difarn and bretsky for your contributions, which I didn't have to use. What I did (going from my memory) was to connect, by way of a usb connection to a usb port on the front of the pc, an external portable hard drive. This has a complete backup on it created mid December last year. I then powered up and inserted into the cd drive a Windows 7 cd and followed the instructions that led me to an option of an install or a repair. I selected repair and waited. I am pleased to say that it worked, I now have Google as my home page as before. In Control Panel/Programs and Features, I see that the Google icon is green and white and not the multi coloured circle, as it was before. I hope that this info is of some use to anyone who has a similar issue with Google Chrome.

difarn 12:04 07 Jan 2017

So what you are saying is that you did a Windows 7 repair rather than just re-installing the Chrome browser?

indego 19:45 07 Jan 2017

Taking the action I took using the external drive and the Windows 7 installation disk, was due largely to the fact that I was not sure of what would have happened, had I have taken the risk and tried reinstalling Google Chrome. The icon of Google Chrome is still green and white when viewed in Control Panel/Programs and Features, but the icon on my desktop is the standard multi coloured circle. It doesn't appear to impact or affect it's performance in any way, so it must be ok to leave it like that. Thanks for your time and effort.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 8 & iPhone 8 Plus