? Can a laptop keyboard be 'locked', please?

AroundAgain 14:27 06 Nov 2011
Answered

Hi

Windows Vista

When I am using my laptop, my kittens just love to walk across the keyboard, as they do.

Is there an easy way to 'lock' the keyboard when not actually needing to type? It would be a great help, I think.

Cheers

AroundAgain 15:00 06 Nov 2011

Buteman, Thanks very much for that link. Yes, I should have 'Googled' before posting, of course!!!

I shall read the articles there. I like the WinKey + L, but then I can't continue reading what's on the screen, ie when using the PC to help me complete a crossword (poor example, I know).

So, thanks for that. Maybe I'll find what I'm looking for in there but, in the meantime, I hope someone can come up with how to just lock the keyboard, but leaving the screen open etc.

I should have said in the first post, that I have Acer Aspire 5738Z. Maybe I need to Google the model or phone Acer. I have read the manual but can't find this info.

So, keep suggestions coming, please guys ...

robin_x 18:14 06 Nov 2011
Answer

Wrong Google search! 'keyboard locker' throws up a paid one, a free one and a howtogeek article.

Freebie

Howto

AroundAgain 21:51 06 Nov 2011

Hi

Thanks, robinofloxley, for your links. I'll certainly be reading the articles and most likely downloading this utility. However, I may just contact Acer this week, just in case there is a built in method.

I yet to check out the links in the Google link from you, Buteman, so thanks to you too.

I'll post what I eventually find to work best for me.

Cheers

AroundAgain 19:26 07 Nov 2011

Hi

Now, this will make you laugh! I assure you I couldn't have made this up!!!

I want to lock the keyboard? Yes! So, one of my kittens walked across the keyboard about 15 mins ago and, would you know it? SHE knows how to do it!!! BUT she won't tell me how!!! ;) Ha!!! Little monkey!

I could use the mouse, but absolutely no keys. The screen was unchanged. I could open and close programs, web pages etc, as long as I only used the mouse!!!

After spending ages testing out different key combinations with no success, I gave up and, with fingers crossed, re-booted! Phew, back to normal.

So, now I KNOW there is a keyboard shortcut to do just what I want to do but I'd really love to know how!!!

I have a phone number to ring for Tech help (at a cost, of course) but clearly it will be worth getting the solution to this. I'll post back when I have the keystrokes.

Cheers

northumbria61 21:19 07 Nov 2011

Kittens/Cats normally have 9 lives but laptops aren't always so lucky!

robin_x 21:36 07 Nov 2011

Pitbull screensaver?

Taff™ 09:38 08 Nov 2011

Having exactly the same model laptop and two cats that love to sleep on my laptop if I leave it unattended, I know what you mean. Locking the touchpad is easy - it's the button next to it. As for the keyboard I just close the lid having set the laptop up to "Do Nothing" when I do so. (i.e. it doesn`t go to sleep, hibernate or close down) This setting is found in Advanced Power Options if I remember rightly.

Even if I do close the lid the cats still curl up on top of it!

audeal 20:37 08 Nov 2011

AroundAgain: I just came across this link and thought of you. It sounds good from the reviews.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/toddlerkeys.html

AroundAgain 22:09 08 Nov 2011

Hi Folks

I still haven't had time to check through the Google link sent by Buteman but have since Google'd using a variety of keywords and not come up with any keyboard shortcut for this model of notebook.

However, I eventually got through to Acer Techies and I was told there was no such keystroke. I'm still not convinced as one of my kittens managed to achieve EXACTLY what I wanted so there must actually be a combination but no-one knows it!!! ;)

@northumbria61 - yes, I do take your point ;)

Keyboard locker - robinofloxley

Pitbull screensaver? - Took me a while ;) but umm, thinking on that ...

@buteman - I checked through this and couldn't find anything that locked the keyboard

@Taff - I didn't know about that; have changed closing to 'do nothing' as that will be useful but still can't read the screen while the keyboard is locked! I do appreciate your 'being in the same shoes', though

@audeal - Although it's not quite what I had in mind, I do like it. I thought maybe using robinofloxley's suggestion (timed yesterday 9.36pm) seeing as I have now worked out what he meant - love it!!! With slide show and appropriate matching sounds might stop 'em for good!!! He! He! Actually, I think my friend could use the toddler key program!!!

So, having had all this variety of suggestions, until I (maybe) happen to discover the keystrokes, I will download Keyboard locker, as suggested by robinofloxley, and see how that works.

As I said, I have done what Taff suggested and can just close the lid if necessary. So, I will have two options.

Thank you, all, for all your help and suggestions. I have appreciated it all, and certainly the humour this thread has contained.

Cheers and thanks to you all

AroundAgain 22:55 08 Nov 2011

Oh, and there was me thinking she was clever !!! ;) So, they caused a 'fault'? That's disappointing, really ... Still, will try the Keylocker download and see if that helps. Thanks, Woolwell Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Shadow of the Tomb Raider review

Julian Glander recreates your art school experience in quirky video game Art Sqool

iPhone XS vs iPhone X: What is the difference?

TV & streaming : comment regarder la Ligue des Champions 2018-2019 ?