Can I run 4 x Noctua Industrial 3000 fans off MB?

chrismobro84 20:10 19 Jan 2017
Answered

Hey everyone.

Can I run 3 x Noctua NF F12 Industrial 3000rpm PMW fans off the fan headers on the Asus X99 E WS motherboard? I'm getting really confused by the Amps vs Volts side of it. I just thought as it was a 12v fan it would be fine but the people at Overclockers said it would be too much for my motherboard.

The link to the fans is here and the manual to my motherobard is here

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Chris

Old Deuteronomy 20:35 19 Jan 2017

The motherboard manual quotes a maximum 1 Amp (@12V) load for the CPU fan header but, nothing is quoted for the chassis fan headers although I would expect they are the same. The fan spec quotes a maximum load of 0.3A for the fans, so I should think you will be OK using splitters for two fans per header. Cannot guarantee that though. If it is not OK the only consequence likely is the the fans may run a little slower than intended.

chrismobro84 20:41 19 Jan 2017

Thanks for your reply :) before I connect them there's no chance they'll blow the motherboard?

wee eddie 22:43 19 Jan 2017
Answer

Assuming that you are happy consigning your MOBO to the bin. Go ahead.

While we are at it. Have you noticed that these fans are powered by 3 phase Motors.

Old Deuteronomy 22:58 19 Jan 2017

Oops, didn't notice they are 3-phase. Suggest you search again for fans and make sure you are looking for/at fans intended for PC cooling.

chrismobro84 23:08 19 Jan 2017

Woah, ok I had no idea that would be an issue. I almost went ahead and installed them. It's a shame because they would have been awesome!

Thanks for the help guys :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Test : les écouteurs Bluetooth Honor xSport AM61