Can I remap a key in DOS?

smithdg 12:05 13 Jan 2010

Problem: a slightly damaged keyboard. The "E" key didn't work, so I remapped E to another key using KeyTweak (a neat Windows-based utility). All fine, then I started re-installing Windows without noticing that the 3/£ key doesn't work either. The Windows (XP) Product Key has a "3" in it, so I can't complete the installation! IF I could re-assign the numeral "3" to another key in DOS, then I could complete installation of Windows (and use KeyTweak again). Can a anyone tell me how to do it? Thanks!

tullie 12:16 13 Jan 2010

Assuming you have a desktop,spend a fiver on a new one,if a laptop,dont know the answer,sorry.

OTT_B 12:34 13 Jan 2010

Think i'd try levering off the 3 key from the keyboard and manually depressing it. But that's me.

bjh 12:45 13 Jan 2010

I'm NOT advocating piracy, but there are loads of XP product keys online; if you can find one of these (undoubtedly illegal) keys that doesn't require one of your dud keys, you could install, then change the code to your legit version once installed. I think the jellybean keyfinder allows you to change the XP code.

smithdg 17:10 13 Jan 2010

Thanks for all suggestions! I found a 3-free product key.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?