Can I recover Windows seven.

Linkslade 12:01 17 Dec 2015
Answered

Hi,

My old desktop running Win 7 died on me recently, but luckily just prior to it's demise I backed up the Disk and Partition on Easeus Todo to an external drive. My question is I am considering buying a base unit with no operating system. It's HDD is the same capacity (128gb) as my old desktop and the back up was 112gb. Can I transfer this across to the new base unit which would save me the cost of buying a Win 7 disk?

Any advice appreciated.

Bazzaman 13:44 17 Dec 2015

Assuming that Windows 7 came pre-installed with your old PC (and is therefore almost certainly an OEM version), the answer is no. The installed operating system is tied to the hardware. In any event, it probably wouldn't work due to driver issues.

If you have a full retail version of Win7 (very typically purchased independently from the hardware), then it can be transferred to another PC (by installing from DVD, not by swapping the hard disks).

However, if your old PC came with the OEM version pre-installed, it probably has a CoA sticker on the (back of the) case somewhere. In which case you may well be able to install Win7 from scratch on the hardware using the product key from the CoA sticker (but you will need a Win7 DVD [Home or Pro as appropriate). It is quite normal for original OEM installs to use a "volume licence key" plus supply a separate discreet product key on the CoA.

Linkslade 14:31 17 Dec 2015
Answer

Thank you for your reply Bazzaman.

Having digested your comments I think I may be opening a can of worms by way of transferring the back up. I think I will go for a Windows installed system instead.

Many thanks.

Bailifei 03:29 18 Dec 2015

I think Easeus todo backup can recover system to dissimilar hardware if you're using their workstation edition? Just create a bootable media with Easeus todo backup, saving on the external hard drive. Boot from it, and choose the "system transfer".

Bazzaman 09:51 18 Dec 2015

Following Bailfei's post see Acronis and EaseUS ToDo

These may get the system up and running (with some effort on your part), but won't necessarily address the licencing issue. An OEM licence version is specifically tied to one machine and cannot (legitimately) be transferred. Microsoft's licensing system endeavours to prevent misuse of licences. An install from scratch using a previously unused CoA product key (even an OEM one) circumvents this.

Complete PC systems (all hardware and OS) are often a better purchase (price wise) anyhow.

Bailifei 05:19 22 Dec 2015

I'd also say better to go Bazzaman's way if the budget is not tight. ^_^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)