Can i make a website without paying an eCommerce Software company

TomRyan 18:01 01 May 2014

I want to make a website but i dont know much about code. Is there a way of making a website with a programme i can download and then just buy the domain name and host it say with ipage? I want to make a website with the lowest monthly payments basically, how can i do this without using websites like wix which charge so much for their monthly service.

wiz-king 13:00 02 May 2014

Do you want to take credit cards? If you do then you will have to have a company bank account and use a third party card handler. If you just want a descriptive website then use a company like Namesco

Proclaimer 22:31 03 May 2014

Zen Cart is free and is great for a store front. Needs hosting with a database.

Forum Editor 07:28 05 May 2014

Zen Cart (mentioned by Proclaimer) is an excellent way to set up an e-commerce site if you are on a strict budget, but remember that your site must be hosted by someone, and you'll be paying for that. If you're going to sell via your website you must obviously have a bank account. Provided that's the case you can take credit card payments with a PayPal account, once the bank account has been verified.

Paypal will not charge you anything to open and setup the account, but it will charge you a transaction fee, each time you sell something. There's no way to avoid that, and it will apply whichever software you use to set up your site.

HaiNH1993 08:45 15 May 2014

@TomRyan Are you using Wordpress? I'm using Wordpress and i can make it become an e-commerce website by using plugins. Some of plugins are all FREE. You can use WP e-Commerce Plugin. The price for Wordpress's e-commerce plugins is cheaper than the price if you hire e-commerce website service.

My Wordpress site runs perfectly with WP e-commerce plugin and you can also try to use it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

HomePod review

Streaming : Netflix ou Amazon Prime Video ?