Can I be too safe?

otubby1 22:55 10 May 2003

Can running two firewalls have the same effect as two AV's? I.e. slowing things down?
It's just that, although I run PCCillin with it's own firewall, I thought I might just be extra safe and have two, and downloaded Sygate personal firewall.
I am running an AMD Athlon 1800+ with 256meg DDR on a 40 gig ide hd with ME as my os.

The PC Doctor 22:59 10 May 2003

You may find that both firewalls are now competing for the same file access to your Pc, I personnally think that they would slow things down, but have had no experience with two firewalls.....

I would suggest using just 1 firewall and a good Anti-virus program.

I use Zonealarm (Free version) and Kapersky AVP.

I understand that AVG is quite good, and it's free.

otubby1 23:06 10 May 2003

I just thought I'd ask after seeing the advice about not running two AV's in another thread. I think I'll stick to PCCillin as it has worked so well for me for the last twelve months.

Belatucadrus 23:07 10 May 2003

Duplicating firewalls and antivirus isn't a very good idea. Some anti virus packages in particular can clash badly and make a system very unstable. I don't think multiple firewalls are as potentialy problematic, but if you are on dial up more than one is a bit of overkill. If you are on broadband and that worried about hacking look at a hardware firewall.

The PC Doctor 23:07 10 May 2003

Always best to stick with the one you've been using and trust....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?