Can I backup & restore 'Documents and Settings'?

splinternet 19:40 26 Jul 2003

I need to reinstall XP. Can I simply backup everything in 'Documents & Settings' then restore to the freshly rebuilt system?

Ken Ju-On 19:46 26 Jul 2003

Yes, I believe it's as simple as that. If the destination system is XP then it should be. :)

But why would you want to backup? I think an ordinary reinstall of the operating system wouldn't delete any files present, although your startup menu settings would be erased. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ken Ju-On 19:49 26 Jul 2003

"... your startup menu settings would be erased." That depends on the type of install though. When I perform a "clean" reinstall, my start menu settings were completely erased, but all other files remained intact.

splinternet 22:15 26 Jul 2003

>>But why would you want to backup?<< There seem to be a lot of files (e.g. My Documents, My Pictures, etc...) which I don't want to lose. I'm doing a reset of my PC to the state it was in when it was delivered to me ... from something called a Reload/Backup CD. I assume that all my data and applications will be lost. Hence why I'm wondering if I can just backup Documents & Settings and reload everything when I've reset my PC.

crimbo 08:56 27 Jul 2003

Try using the files and settings transfer wizard, and pointing the location for the copy to a different partition from your C drive. then when you want to restore, point it back again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

25 book design and illustration tips

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts