Can I access old HDD for its content?

lonemascot 23:16 07 Jul 2008

My old PC died from something other than HDD drive failure. I had recently backed up my work but I still lost about a weeks work.

My old OS was XP and my OS is Vista.

Can I plug my old HDD in next to my new one and just browse its files like you would a CD?

Im unsure of how exactly to do this so any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Jon

nosharpe 23:21 07 Jul 2008

Yes you can access your files on the old HDD.

Set the jumper on your old HDD to slave.
There should be a diagram on the HDD showing which setting the jumper needs to be on.

It doesn't matter whether the HDD is SATA or IDE.
Setting it as a slave will allow you access to its contents.

When you PC reboots after installation, run the BIOS setup and add the HDD - some BIOS may do this automatically.

It doesn't matter that the OS are different.

lonemascot 23:23 07 Jul 2008

Excellent news. Thanks for the help.

bobbybowls 00:41 08 Jul 2008

you only need master and slave if you have 2 drives on the same ide cable. with sata there can only be 1 drive per cable so no slave setting is needed.

gazzaho 04:35 08 Jul 2008

Also the slave drive has to be on the middle socket of the IDE ribbon cable in order to be detected by the system and the master on the end if 2 drives are used.

DieSse 09:42 08 Jul 2008

"Also the slave drive has to be on the middle socket of the IDE ribbon cable in order to be detected by the system and the master on the end if 2 drives are used."

That's incorrect.

If jumpers are set to Master and Slave, then it doesn't matter which goes where on the cable (though a single drive should always go on the end, to lower electrical "noise".

If the two drives have their jumpers set to "Cable Select" then, the drive on the middle connector will become slave, and the drive at the end connector becomes master. That's why it's called "cable select" - the position on the cable selects which is which. Cable Selection needs 80-wire IDE cables - it doesn't work on 40-wire cables.

Technotiger 10:01 08 Jul 2008

Also, if you don't want to fiddle with jumpers, get yourself a USB Hard-drive Enclosure. A very useful item to have anyway!

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?