Can get e-mails but can't send them

JACC 16:32 08 Jul 2004

I've just formatted my hd and had to retrive my BB account. Did that ok , had a carry on with my e-mail addresses but got that sorted ,but now find that i can receive e-mails but can't send them .What should my account be,INCOMING POP 3...should it be pop.freeserve.co.uk or com ?
OUTGOING SMTP... smtp.freeserve.co.uk or com ?

jhm 16:35 08 Jul 2004

pop.freeserve.com and smtp.freeserve.com

sicknote 16:37 08 Jul 2004
  Charence 16:39 08 Jul 2004

have you checked your firewall settings to see if they permit outgoing connection?

jhm 16:43 08 Jul 2004

Just a thought-if you have Freeserve installation disc use it to retrieve account details. Freeserve still in use although now owned by Wanadoo

HauxtonPhil 17:51 08 Jul 2004

I had a similar problem with Freeserve on a Dial Up - the solution was that the phone line had to have 1481 (I think) in front of it to enable Freeserve to identify the caller (CLI). I don't know if that is still the case with a BB connection, but could be worth checking out with Wanadoo

Wilham 18:00 08 Jul 2004

About six months ago I had trouble,-I could receive but not send email. I didn't find out straight away because OE falsely listed my outgoing emails as sent.

Help on this forum pointed a finger at my Norton2003 which I'd set to virus scan my emails ,- both in and out.
It seems I overacted in adding Norton updates at the mere mention of a new virus, and in time the overweight Norton2003 took more time to check outmail than was allowed for by Outlook Express.

It seemed plausible,.... I dropped the outgoing check, and outgoing emails since cause no further bother.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HTC U12 Plus review: Hands-on

Brilliant (and Weird) World Cup 2018 Art and Design Projects

Best Android emulators for Mac

TV & Streaming : comment regarder Roland Garros ?