Can get onto computer!!

chaztait 20:40 23 Feb 2005

Hi i had my computer working like half an hour ago then i just started it up the same way i always do then the login screen came up and started to automaticly login as it usually does. Then and Error came up

The window was titled "Explorer.EXE - Unable To Locate Component" and in the window it says "This application has failed to start because SHDOCVW.dll was not found. Re-install the application may fix this problem."

And then my background comes up but no Task bar comes up and no icons come up and i cant right click on the desktop. The only thing i got to work was Task Manager by presing Ctrl, Alt and Delete and started mucking about with that. So i made a new user but the same thing happend. From the Task Manager i can type in commands to run prgrammes just like when you click Start and Run.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

thanxs

chaztait

chaztait 20:46 23 Feb 2005

I just tried starting the computer in Safe Mode but...same thing

VoG II 20:46 23 Feb 2005

click here

Extract to c:\windows\system32

Jak_1 20:48 23 Feb 2005

Have you tried system restore?

VoG II 20:48 23 Feb 2005

But if it won't start that won't work.

Try Last Known Good Configuration instead of Safe Mode.

chaztait 20:50 23 Feb 2005

Can you open up Network Places from Run as i could send it from this computer to it?

chaztait 21:06 23 Feb 2005

right ok when i type things like C: or D: or My Documents the error comes up again. What will i do?

woodchip 21:09 23 Feb 2005

Sounds like Virus

chaztait 21:10 23 Feb 2005

how can this be fixed!

woodchip 21:21 23 Feb 2005

If you have a full Operating system Disk you could try a repair or reinstall. Will not work with Restore Disc. A restore Disc will put the Computer back to when the Computer was bought losing all Info on the computer

chaztait 21:23 23 Feb 2005

I dont know what you mean

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?