Can a deleted Word document be recovered?

griffon56 15:43 28 Feb 2018
Answered

Hi All,

I've accidentally deleted a Word 2007 doc (not doc.x) and wonder if it's hiding somewhere and can be recovered. For a long time I've been in the practice of writing successive letters by simply using the original letter space to write the new letter and then saving the result under a new name. This morning I accidentally clicked on the original letter's name as I saved and the new letter replaced the old. Can I get it back, please?

[DELETED] 16:10 28 Feb 2018

It might be possible, have a read of this and see if it helps from Microsoft.

griffon56 19:52 28 Feb 2018

Thanks Octal, I'll give it a go tomorrow. It isn't my Will or anything as serious as that but it makes a silly gap in the correspondence if it isn't there.

griffon56 10:54 01 Mar 2018
Answer

Hi All,

I feel slightly embarrassed. Some time ago I fitted a Western Digital external hard drive with backup software, which does incremental backups at 12.00 each day. I'd forgotten about it, guess where I found the missing letter? YES. Apologies but thanks for the response, unfortunately none of it worked and all the avenues I tried are much too complex for my 85 year old memory to recall! Thanks anyway for your help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:41 01 Mar 2018

Glad your sorted - at least you have the sense to use bakups even if the memor is going :0)

If only everyone used some form of backup then we would have a quieter life on the forum :0)

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Iglooghost's hyper new music video gives a mutant take on Monument Valley

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Comment ajouter de la musique à une présentation Google Slides ?