camera's £150-£180....HELP!!!!!!

TRIV 17:16 13 Jun 2003

i have just read all the pages regarding the difficulty of purchasing the first digital camera.It is still so confusing. the cannon A40 fuji fine pix204,fuji 2800etc etc. now comet are offering a toshiba for£149.95.(details available on their web site).seems to have all the things needed for a good photo.only has 8mbcard.so what should i want?16 32 64???optical zoom and digital zoom?i must admit i liked the nikon but with no viewer and only the lcd to look at ,this put me off.so now the easy bit.which to choose.any input would be helpful,but remeber i've only got a shoestring to spend...thanks to all. triv...

malgall 19:18 13 Jun 2003

i have fuji 2600 and i am very happy quality is very good i have a friend who paid more than me for a sony and is anoyed that mine takes better pictures
i would highly recommend this camera

anchor 19:35 13 Jun 2003

Another to consider, that seems good, is the Fuji A203. A recent post stated this:

"at the moment Boots have a special offer on the Fuji A203, £60 off cost now £169.99. well within your budget".

How the price compares with the Fuji2600, (which also seems good), you would need to look into.

I was not very impressed with the results from the Toshiba you referred to.

TRIV 19:09 14 Jun 2003

Thanks to both anchor and malgall for youe input so far on this subjct,i must admit i do like the fuji camera's . my father has the A204 and i must admit i do like the look of it.you may be able to help me further,just a simple thing but any idea where the best place to get a case and the re-chargable bateries from.One more thing,if i may is the offer still on at boots for the A203. thats a very good price for agood camera like this. many thanks. triv

keith-236785 08:37 15 Jun 2003

The fuji A202/203 use the new Fuji XD picture card, at the moment no card readers support this format (you can still upload via the supplied usb cable), i have the A202 it is a 2mega pixel camera but i use it on 1 Mega Pixel and the pictures are great.

one other thing to consider is the Zoom feature
Mine hasnt got Zoom and is not much good at distance shots, but i can live with that.

also the Movie facility gives you 20 seconds of movie (without sound)

for a budget camera it does what i want.

good luck with your choice.....

also if you are on XP Please make sure you install the latest printer drivers (i nearly returned my camera as faulty because the pictures once printed were Very Dark) turned out to be the windows XP default drivers

TRIV 09:49 15 Jun 2003

card readers,sorry thats over my head. help with this item iwould be good. thanks for your input. still turning towards the fujiA203 has zoom,so still looks the best value for money.. once again many thanks.

Stuartli 10:34 15 Jun 2003

You shouldn't choose a digital (or any other) camera purely on price and specifications.

How it feels to operate, the ease of use and the way the controls are laid out is just, if not more, important. Why not visit an outlet such as Jessops and try them out first.

As for choice, have a look at Jessops's website, which includes the Fuji 2800 at £199.90 (resembles an SLR and has a 6x zoom), the just launched Concord 3132 with 3.1MP and 3x zoom at £170 (this firm also makes the Polaroid range of mdels) and many others.

click here

TRIV 11:26 15 Jun 2003

HAVE USED TH FUJI RANGE ,AS I SAY MY DADS GOT ONE OF THE MODELS,AND I LIKE IT. IT'S EASY TO USE AND STRAIGHT FORWARD.HAVE SEEN THE CONCORD RANGE BUT TO BR HONEST THEY ARE UGLY.I DONT WANT TO BUY A CAMERS JUST ON LOOKS BUT IT MUST LOOK GOOD. WHO WANTS TO USE N UGLY PIECE OF MACHINERY.NO ONE BUYS AN UGLY CAR OR MARRIES A BIRD BECAUSE SHE'S A GOOD COOK BUT A UGLY AS A FISH.IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.JUST A FOOT NOTE ON THE BOOTS THING.MY LOCAL LARGE STOCKISTS IN HULL HAVEN'T HAD A FUJIA230 IN STOCK FOR 3 WEEKS.MUST HAVE SOLD OUT OR ARE TRYING TO SELL OTHER MODELS. KEEP IT COMING..CHEERS

jbaker65 11:51 15 Jun 2003

Hi, 8 months ago I bought a fuji 2600 from America through eBay. I paid £89 as against £199 in England. Prices may be a little lower now. It is great although the 2800 is better. Ignore digital zoom as it reduces quality. the above have x3 and x6 optical zoom which I think is essential for anything but 'snapping'. regards, John.

keith-236785 12:00 15 Jun 2003

Stuartli is right, decide on your budget, go to Jessops/ pcworld/ dixons/ Boots/ anywhere else where you can actually get hold of the cameras.

have a hold/try

see which suits you

then look for the best price....

i bought mine over the internet (only because Jessops had sold out and i didnt want to wait), not saying you should but if price is important then the best deals are on the net,(go on folks prove me wrong)

keith-236785 12:03 15 Jun 2003

one last thing, check the camera is compatible with windows XP

you may not have XP now but you won't want to have to buy another camera later just cos you upgraded to XP (doh, thats why i got the A202, cos my old camera wont work with XP)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?