Camera & Scanner USB conflict - help!

Carafaraday 13:53 31 Jul 2003

I have sucessfully installed new software for my Canon Poweershot A70 camera and that seems to be working ok. However, my scanner is now unable to work. I get this message:-

MUSTUI caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 0177:bff87ede.
Registers:
EAX=c00301a8 CS=0177 EIP=bff87ede EFLGS=00010212
EBX=007cfe28 SS=017f ESP=006cff98 EBP=006d0004
ECX=025c40f4 DS=017f ESI=006d0420 FS=0f2f
EDX=00000001 ES=017f EDI=818643d4 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
53 56 57 8b 30 83 7d 10 01 8b 4e 38 89 4d f8 75
Stack dump:

Any suggestions welcome - I really need to get my scanner back in operation. I have tried rebooting. Unplugging the camera USB, and unplugging and replugging the scanner - all to no avail.

Help please!

Stuartli 15:15 31 Jul 2003

Scanners need a powered USB connection or used with a powered USB hub, not the unpowered type.

If you only have two USB system outlets, dedicate one to the scanner and run a four/seven port powered hub from the second for your other requirements, including the camera, webcam etc.

Carafaraday 17:14 31 Jul 2003

Thanks to all who responded.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the scanner and just got the same message.

I have now 'solved' the problem by deleting the canon file from Twain_32 and putting it on the desktop - the scanner works fine and if I copy the file from the desktop back to Twain when I need it, so does the camera - not very sophisticated but it works!

I have a card reader, Alcudia, so I'll try installing that - but won't I still want the canon software for playing with the photos? I can't just delete it all can I?

Carafaraday 19:18 31 Jul 2003

Thanks for your comments - I don't have XP - just humble 98. Do I understand from various comments that the problem might be to do with power? ie it would all work better with a hub plugged into one USB port (and the camer into that) and the scanner direct into the other? I'm just so relieved to be able to use both but I would love to have a more ideal arrangement that continually copying and deleting files.

Carafaraday 19:21 31 Jul 2003

Thanks for your comments. When you installed your card reader did you install anything at all from the cd that came with the camera, and if so, what? How easy was it to install the card reader. Forgive me for asking so many questions - I've had a bit of a struggle to get the scanner working again (I needed it desperately) and I'm now reluctant to install the card reader in case I screw things up again. Any comments would be appreciated.

Carafaraday 09:02 01 Aug 2003

As i said previously I've now got everything working although not in a very scientific manner - just by shifting files around - so I don't think the problem is a USB conflict - it seems to be to do with the TWAIN_32 file. As long as it works I'm not too bothered but I now have a card reader which I want to install and I'm worried that I'll lose it all again!

Any suggestions welcome.

Stuartli 09:59 01 Aug 2003

No offence detected..:-) Earlier mobos only had two USB ports because there were few USB devices at the time.

As I stated, and some others as well, scanners do require a powered USB port even if the scanner itself has a power supply.

When I bought my powered four-port USB hub about two years ago I did so for that reason, rather than the unpowered variety; at the time the retailer pointed out, without prompting, to use a separate USB port if I had a scanner, otherwise problems could arise.

Stuartli 10:09 01 Aug 2003

Your post about the scanner using one system USB port and running a powered USB hub from the other is exactly what I suggested in my original posting.

That's the way I do it and I have no problems, conflicts etc with my Agfa 1212u scanner and other devices.

Permanently attached to the powered hub are my webcam and Minolta E203 digital camera's USB lead to download pix - if I need to use any other USB devices I just plug them into one of the spare hub outlets.

Carafaraday 10:13 01 Aug 2003

Thanks for your response. I do only have two USB ports both directly to the pc and therefore presumably not 'powered' ports - so you are maybe right in saying that's the problem although the scanner worked ok before the camera software installation, and still works ok as long as I shuffle files around. I'll maybe try a powered USB hub and see if it makes a difference - at the moment I'm too scared to change anything in case it all goes pear-shaped again!

Carafaraday 16:17 01 Aug 2003

Sadly I have Windows 98. Thanks for your reply. I'm still a bit nervous about installing anything else at the moment - I'll wait until I can afford to do without my scanner for a day or two and then try again. In the meantime many thanks to all who replied.

Stuartli 18:19 01 Aug 2003

I'm using Windows98SE - but as it does all I require I'm not sad about it...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Eevee! review

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2018

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs SSD