Camcorder capture

John Q Public 20:20 11 Mar 2005

Whats the best way to capture video from a camcorder? i have a canon mv 700 camcorder and i transfered the video via a firewire connection to my pc using windows movie maker but the quality is not very good,it only captures in real time also is there any way to speed up the capture and improve the quality?

john-232317 20:28 11 Mar 2005

WMM is rubbish, you will have to get something like Ulead moviefactory.

But I think they all capture in real time.

Chegs ® 21:55 11 Mar 2005

I got sick of MM taking over my desktop,so got hold of Pinnacle Studio,its a bit wobbly and crashes midway thru rendering occasionally,but I can minimise it to use the PC for other activities(and as rendering can take hours,I toddle off to bed and leave this to get on with it,if it crashes then I wait until the next time the PC is due a "rest"

GroupFC 21:56 11 Mar 2005

I don't know about capturing with Moviemaker (btw you are using MM2, arn't you?), I only use it for editing.

I have to disagree with dadyassa, I don't think it's rubbish (after all it is free!). Have a trawl through these to see if they help click here click here click here. He is right though about capture as far as I know, capturing the footage from the camera can only be in real time (after all the tape has to play through the camcorder!).

Did you get any s/w with the camera? I have a canon camcorder (MV530i) and it came with Presto! VideoWorks 5.0, and this is what I use to capture the raw footage in .avi format and import in to MM2 for editing.

Be warned though video work is resource intensive and .avi files are huge! It will help if you shut down as many background progs. as possible.

Good Luck!

Happy Soul 21:57 11 Mar 2005

The default is to capture at a lowish resolution, try some of the higher settings, which will take longer.

Understanding the Configure Video Capture Device dialog box
The Configure Video Capture Device dialog box lets you control capture device and video settings. The settings that are available in this dialog box depend on the specific capture devices that are installed on your computer.

The following options appear in this dialog box.

Camera Settings

Click to open a properties dialog box that enables you to change camera settings. The resulting dialog box depends on the manufacturer of your capture device and the accompanying software. Typically, you can control camera settings such as color, brightness, and contrast of the video.

Video Settings

Click to open a properties dialog box that enables you to change video settings. The resulting dialog box depends on the manufacturer of your capture device and the accompanying software. Typically, you can control video settings such as the display size and compression settings for your video.

TV Tuner

Click to open a properties dialog box that enables you to change the settings of a TV tuner card, if one is installed on your computer. The resulting dialog box depends on the manufacturer of the TV tuner card and the accompanying software. Typically, you can change the channel and the video format.

Note

The Configure Video Capture Device dialog box only appears if your video capture device uses Windows Driver Models (WDM) drivers. If your capture device uses Video for Windows (VFW) software drivers, a dialog box specific to the selected device appears, and this dialog box lets you adjust different video settings. For more information about what type of software drivers your specific device uses, see the manual that came with your video capture device.

GroupFC 21:58 11 Mar 2005

What do you mean MM taking over your desktop? Or do you just mean it's very slow!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?