Hot Topics

Cache running slow how do I fix this?

laptopdunce 13:43 09 Feb 2017

I have notice that ebay in particular is running very slow on my laptop, I regularly clear the history on google chrome browser and do the disk clean up regularly but when I am on ebay (in particular) I notice that it is taking a very long time for the pages to load and in the lower left side of the screen I see a little message saying "waiting for cache". Is it it the cache that is causing sites to run slower than normal and how can I fix this, my laptop is an Acer 1tb with only about 50gb being used with the docs and photo folders. thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:29 09 Feb 2017

Clear the cache using CCleaner

Burn-it 17:04 09 Feb 2017

If you are running low on space in general, it will struggle to find space and in particular contiguous space for cache. Also - as suggested - clearing other temporary space will help, especially the temporary folder, which can get enormous.

laptopdunce 17:54 09 Feb 2017

how do I clean the temprorary folder? I have done the history in Chrome and its still slow, will try ccleaner but have done that before, I think it is this cache that is getting too full somewhere, its an Acer E5-511-POBM with 8gb ddr3L memory and 1tb hd. thanks laptopdunce

lotvic 18:24 09 Feb 2017

how do I clean the temprorary folder?

Hold down Windows Key (the one with 4 wavy squares) and press R

in the Run box type %temp% and click on OK

In the new Window that opens: LeftClick mouse button on a blank part in the righthandpane

Hold down Ctrl and press A (this will select/highlight all the files in the righthandpane) (or rightclick and choose Select All)

Press Delete on keyboard (this will put all the Temp files in the Recycle Bin so you will have to empty the bin to get rid of them permanently.

To Delete them all straightaway - bypassing the Recycle bin: Hold down Shift key and then press Delete.

laptopdunce 22:09 09 Feb 2017

thanks,I did this but not alot seemed to come up in those temporary folders, I put them in the recycyle bin and checked what each folder held in the properties, and this is what it said, the "low" folder which properties says has zero bytes in it was started originally in august 2015 (when i bought this laptop) it doesnt seem to me that a huge amount of stuff has accumulated in these temp. folders?? folder Avast properties = 0 bytes folder 5268_23225 = 1.75kb folder &484_26192 = 1.60KB adobeARM text document = 913 bytes folder LOW = 0 bytes (created in august 2015) What do you think? laptopdunce

laptopdunce 22:12 09 Feb 2017

PS: is there a way to find out how much free space I have in my cache? is the cache the 8gbs of DDR3 L memory? I have done antimalware bytes scan and the AVAST scan also and regularly clear the history and do the CCleaner, this just seems to have happened in the last week, very odd, I dont store videos or play "games" so I dont think I am using the computers "power" very much. thanks Laptopdunce - I dont really understand properly what this Cache means.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:32 09 Feb 2017
  wee eddie 22:46 09 Feb 2017

I think that "Waiting for the Cache" is a Red Herring.

lotvic 00:28 10 Feb 2017

What Is A Browser Cache? and Why Do I Need To Clear The Cache? click here

Note: The Browsers temporary Internet files cache is a different Temp folder to the pc's %Temp% folder. Both are stored on your Hard drive - not on your DDR3 L RAM memory (which is volatile memory)

wee eddie 00:59 10 Feb 2017

Lotvic: While we're on Browser Cache. I used to be able to access my Browser Cache in Windows 95. Have you any idea how I might access it in Edge? .

I know that I am, sort of, hijacking the thread, but it only just occurred to me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huge discounts across Microsoft, HP, Acer & Asus in Amazon Summer Sale

Japanese fashion illustration makes for one dreamy catwalk

Tim Cook will face antitrust committee on 27 July

App Store : comment obtenir un remboursement ?