WaiKent 14:00 29 Oct 2003

hi i need to buy some network cables and was told to buy cat5 for my network which connects pcs to the router. whats the difference between a patch cable and a crossover. or can someone recommend something that will be more reliable. im new to networking.

  WaiKent 14:22 29 Oct 2003

and also what does a patch cable mean?

  Sir Radfordin 14:34 29 Oct 2003

A cross over cable can be used to connect two computers without using a hub. The wires go in one order at one end and the reverse (crossed over) at the other end.

(I think!) Patch cables are normally short cables that are used in patch pannels. In an office you would have a whole range of patch pannels and would have to 'patch' in various network connections to the right point.

Ebuyer (click here) do some fairly cheap CAT5 cable that will suit your needs. Since you are using a router you do not need cross over cable.

  WaiKent 14:38 29 Oct 2003

i dont know which to choose as there are some patch cables and some other form of them. found this one UTP CAT5 Patch Cable RJ45 20m for 8.46 wonder if it is okay to use?

  Djohn 14:39 29 Oct 2003

click here Have a look here for the difference between Patch Crossover and straight through cable. When I asked "Maplins for a CAT 5 straightthrough RJ11 modem cable, they said that I would be better off with the standard crossover cable and supplied a 5 metre one for me.

  Sir Radfordin 16:06 29 Oct 2003

This will do the job for you:

click here

Djohn - is your point that Maplins sold you the wrong thing :-?

  SEASHANTY 16:12 29 Oct 2003

Connecting PC's directly to the router you need straight through RJ45 cables cat5 minimum spec or higher. Patch cables are straight through cables.
The 20 metre UTP cat5 cable you mention will do fine.

  Wilham 16:20 29 Oct 2003

I found a 3 metre patch was provided in-the-box with the Airplus Xtreme G2.4GHz Wireless BB Router I bought a month ago. No mention in the ad,- so I needlessly bought another.
The better quality cables have improved earth shielding, by the way, as was the one with the router.

  Djohn 16:36 29 Oct 2003

Sorry, I should have explained myself better. When I changed over to Broadband in July this year, I was going to use an ordinary phone-line extension then an adaptor for the modem.

Someone suggested that I use a CAT 5 cable for better quality, so I popped into Maplins and asked their advice. They said it would be better not to use an extension lead but a standard RJ11 crossover modem cable to the length I required. [5 Metres]

I took their advice and connected my Voyager modem direct to the filter at the main phone socket with this cable. The result is perfect reception with no interference or loss of signal quality.

So the answer is "No" they sold me the best cable for the job and saved me about ?5.00. which seeing that the total cost I paid was ?6.00 = a good saving. Very pleased with the advice and service I received from Maplins. J.

  Djohn 16:39 29 Oct 2003

Erm.. My ? [Pound] signs seem to have changed on reaching the site, They worked yesterday. :o(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Best of the Grad Shows 2018: Middlesex University art, illustration and graphic design

Best Mac tips, tricks and timesavers

Comment identifier le modèle de son iPad ?