Cable query

Ray5776 18:20 21 Apr 2006

Hello all,
I currently have 2 PCs networked with a Xover cable and using ICS. I now want to use a Voyager 250 router
hoping it will be a bit more reliable.
From the instructions it seems that the router should be connected with a standard CAT 5 cable.
The PCs are in different rooms and changing the cable will not be easy for various reasons including the fact I don`t have one long enough.

I have been looking on the web for any info on this and some say either cable will work as the router will self adjust if I use a Xover cable.

Can anyone clarify this please, I will change the cable if needs be but don`t want to do so unnecessarily.

ray

mgmcc 19:35 21 Apr 2006

Routers generally require a "straight-wired" cable. However, rather than replacing your long crossover cable, you can get an RJ45 "coupler" to join two cables and connecting a second *crossover* cable will reverse the crossover effect and give you a straight connection. There are also crossover adapters which would reverse the crossover effect - click here

Ray5776 20:03 21 Apr 2006

Thanks mgmcc,
I have a spare short Xover cable and a spare short straight cable and Maplins about 3 miles away so lots of easy solutions to save me rewiring.
Still wonder about the router self adjusting to Xover if anyone actually knows, a bit hypothetical now I have a solution but curious anyway.

ray

lozparry 22:51 21 Apr 2006

Hmmm,
I had this issue when I got my router however, it still and always has worked with the Xover cable connected!
btw, I have a 3com router.

Ray5776 23:06 21 Apr 2006

Thanks lozparry,
I suppose I have nothing to lose by trying it.
If it works or doesn`t it wont matter much either way but the last thing I need is something that works but not properly, this is exactly my reason for trying a router rather than direct connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

See iconic duo Smith and Foulkes' epic animation for the BBC's Winter Olympics coverage

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts